Version control tool in mainframes.

Other Mainframe related questions which attracts you and there is no suitable Forum you find for it and related FAQs.
Ashish Mathew
Registered Member

Version control tool in mainframes.

Post by Ashish Mathew »

Hi,

At our site we don't have any change management tools but we are in talks to purchase a new one. What is the tool do you suggest from your experience? I know this can be very vague to ask like this, we're talking to different vendors but wanted to seek some feedback from end-users in the form of experience.
nicc
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Version control tool in mainframes.

Post by nicc »

This, really, is not a topic for a forum. People will have their favourites/hates and will not give a fair representation. You need facts, not opinions. What you get depends on what your requirements are and which package best reflects those requirements.
Regards
Nic
Robert Sample
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Post by Robert Sample »

Did your organization not come up with a list of requirements before starting the procurement process? Did your organization not develop an evaluation methodology to see how well each product meets the list of requirements? These should have been the first steps in the process! And if your organization did them, you would have no need of asking on a forum about user experiences. Furthermore, WHICH user experiences are you wanting to know about -- the system programmer installing and maintaining the product? the programmers using the product for source control? the administrator managing the product? Each of these will have different user experiences, some better than others.
Ashish Mathew
Registered Member

Post by Ashish Mathew »

They have done all that Robert though I have joined in the team just now and they wanted me to be the part of the discussion. Having had worked with ChangeMan in past I understand it but now there are tools like ISPW and RDz are in place. I did some research about them along with Endeavor but just wanted to take an opinion.

Sorry if it was meant to be for this community.
Robert Sample
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Post by Robert Sample »

There are also tools like Panvalet and CA-LIBRARIAN so the market is fairly substantial. However, finding out which one different people prefer does nothing to forward your procurement process since you are merely getting opinions about products.
Ashish Mathew
Registered Member

Post by Ashish Mathew »

Thanks Robert. Yes they are opinions but I have something about the product. Read the product' documentation and understanding the different products. There will be demos too.