Learning mainframe without Hercules.

Other Mainframe related questions which attracts you and there is no suitable Forum you find for it and related FAQs.
Preeti Malhotra

Learning mainframe without Hercules.

Post by Preeti Malhotra »

Hi,

I am trying to learn mainframe from home. Can someone please share their experience thought with me on this. I learned from my searches online that Hercules can be of help in this. But is this the only resource, can I not learn it from somewhere else? Please ehlp me with your valuable thoughts.

Thanks for any help.
nicc
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Learning mainframe without Hercules.

Post by nicc »

It alldepends on what you mean by "learn mainframe". System admin? DB2? IMS? COBOL? PL/1? Rexx? etc etc
If, for example DB2, then do you mean DB2 admin? Programmer using DB2 etc etc.
Some languages have PC equivalents. Some database managers have PC equivalents. Not all are free.
Hercules is a tool for the experienced mainframe techy so, basically, you either need to find a trainee position or go to a college that uses a mainframe.
Regards
Nic
enrico-sorichetti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by enrico-sorichetti »

just to clarify things a bit more ...
Hercules is a BARE IRON emulator,
once installed, You will need an operating system
unfortunately the modern IBM operating systems are not available for free

but, running an older operating system will still give You some things to meditate on
see
http://wotho.ethz.ch/tk4-/
cheers
enrico
When I tell somebody to RTFM or STFW I usually have the page open in another tab/window of my browser,
so that I am sure that the information requested can be reached with a very small effort 8-)
Anuj Dhawan
Founder
India

Post by Anuj Dhawan »

For COBOL, possibly you can pick up GnuCOBOL and experiment with it. For RDBMS and SQL, try using DB2 Express-C. There are PC versions of REXX and SAS too - I think with good hold on these, you'll be ahead of half the crowd easily, IMHO.
Thanks,
Anuj

Disclaimer: My comments on this website are my own and do not represent the opinions or suggestions of any other person or business entity, in any way.
Preeti Malhotra

nicc wrote: It alldepends on what you mean by "learn mainframe". System admin? DB2? IMS? COBOL? PL/1? Rexx? etc etc
If, for example DB2, then do you mean DB2 admin? Programmer using DB2 etc etc.
Some languages have PC equivalents. Some database managers have PC equivalents. Not all are free.
Hercules is a tool for the experienced mainframe techy so, basically, you either need to find a trainee position or go to a college that uses a mainframe.
I want to learn the application programming about it. Is that a correct statement. I mean I like to learn COBOL, JCL and DB2.
Preeti Malhotra

enrico-sorichetti wrote: just to clarify things a bit more ...
Hercules is a BARE IRON emulator,
once installed, You will need an operating system
unfortunately the modern IBM operating systems are not available for free

but, running an older operating system will still give You some things to meditate on
see
http://wotho.ethz.ch/tk4-/
Thanks enrico. Looks like I won't be able to make it installed it so easily. :( :(
Preeti Malhotra

Anuj Dhawan wrote: For COBOL, possibly you can pick up GnuCOBOL and experiment with it. For RDBMS and SQL, try using DB2 Express-C. There are PC versions of REXX and SAS too - I think with good hold on these, you'll be ahead of half the crowd easily, IMHO.
Thanks Anuj. Will check on these.
enrico-sorichetti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by enrico-sorichetti »

the link I posted points to a ready to run system ...
download, unzip, READ THE DOCS, click and go
cheers
enrico
When I tell somebody to RTFM or STFW I usually have the page open in another tab/window of my browser,
so that I am sure that the information requested can be reached with a very small effort 8-)