Interesting Statistics

Other Mainframe related questions which attracts you and there is no suitable Forum you find for it and related FAQs.
Robert Sample
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Interesting Statistics

Post by Robert Sample »

From http://www.networkworld.com/article/316 ... acute.html:
This brings us to the escalating shortage of people with mainframe skills. The mainframe software company Compuware recently surveyed 350 global CIOs for their take on the issue. 88% of the respondents say the mainframe will continue to be a key business asset over the next decade. Despite the importance of the platform to ongoing business, 75% of these same CIOs believe today’s application developers don’t understand the importance of the mainframe. What’s more, 70% say that there is not an effective means for transfer of knowledge from the older generation of workers – those heading off to retirement – to the younger generations of talent. The CIOs believe this will put their business at risk.
Anuj Dhawan
Founder
India

Re: Interesting Statistics

Post by Anuj Dhawan »

I also have the similar thinking but they don't tell about a possible solution, do they?

PS.: edited
Thanks,
Anuj

Disclaimer: My comments on this website are my own and do not represent the opinions or suggestions of any other person or business entity, in any way.
Robert Sample
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Post by Robert Sample »

The Network World article mentions 4 possible solutions, each with advantages and drawbacks:
  1. Move off the mainframe
  2. Develop internal talent
  3. Hire external talent
  4. Outsource
Broadly speaking, many companies cannot use option 1 for various reasons. Option 2 is a long-term solution. Options 3 and 4 both do not address the skills issue directly, rather transferring the issue instead. The article does point out that all of these options do require additional resources that need to be planned for.
mucka

Post by mucka »

I have trying to get my company to hire and train new staff for years. The standard answer is we don't have the money. When someone retires they seem to have the money to bring in a consultant that knows nothing. They pay top dollar because they are in a bind because the current staff lacks the knowledge in the area required. We have a very good staff but are only one deep. The backups to the responsible party is in name only.

The company also wants 100% up time. They also say we are getting off the mainframe. They have been saying that for 10 years. They don't want to invest in something that is going away. They don't realize they are 10 years away from getting off if everything goes perfectly. They don't seem to worry about keeping the systems they have now that work up and running.

I retired and am now a consultant scum. Work for one of my old customers.

Can't seem to make management understand the situation.

Russ