Anyone knows here Fujistu mainframes?

Other Mainframe related questions which attracts you and there is no suitable Forum you find for it and related FAQs.
Nikhil Nigam

Anyone knows here Fujistu mainframes?

Post by Nikhil Nigam »

Hi,

Anyone knows here Fujistu mainframes? Where it is used and how's the career futrue with it?
prino
Registered Member

Re: Anyone knows here Fujistu mainframes?

Post by prino »

I don't think anyone knows Fujistu mainframes. Wouldn't look for a career with them.
Robert AH Prins
robertahprins @ the.17+Gb.Google thingy
Some z/OS code here
Robert Sample
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Post by Robert Sample »

Terminology is critical in IT, where similar terms may mean very different things. And there is no such thing as a "Fujistu" mainframe. There is a "Fujitsu" mainframe, however. Assuming you are careless enough to misspell the company name in your title as well as in your post, Fujitsu mainframes are rare -- they may be more common in Japan, but I'm not sure I've ever heard of a company in the US using one. I'm sure there are some, but I haven't heard of them. So if you want to specialize in Fujitsu mainframes, you'll have many times more problems in doing so than in IBM mainframes.
Anuj Dhawan
Founder
India

Post by Anuj Dhawan »

Thanks,
Anuj

Disclaimer: My comments on this website are my own and do not represent the opinions or suggestions of any other person or business entity, in any way.
Robert Sample
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Post by Robert Sample »

I've looked over the Fujitsu mainframe specifications on their web page. The GS21 is significantly smaller than system Z -- maximum of 16 CPUs compared to 140 in the system Z and 256 GB memory compared to 10000 GB in the system Z.

So if you want a career working on Fujitsu, you may have to go to Japan. You certainly would be in a niche market.
Akatsukami
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Akatsukami »

It is perhaps also worth mentioning that Fujitsu (and Hitachi) mainframes are all 31-bit instruction machines, about 20 years behind System z architecture, and that Fujitsu has stated that it has no plans to upgrade to a 64-bit instruction set and operating system.
"I come to the conclusion that, men loving according to their own will and fearing according to that of the prince, a wise prince should establish himself on that which is in his own control and not in that of others." -- Niccolò Machiavelli