Chargeback model

Other Mainframe related questions which attracts you and there is no suitable Forum you find for it and related FAQs.
Rabindra Kumar

Chargeback model

Post by Rabindra Kumar »

Robert Sample wrote: You are in a very complicated area when talking about system z software costs. For some sites, what you have said is true -- there will be a base charge (upfront fee) and monthly costs. For other sites, there may only be monthly costs. There typically is a good bit of negotiation over software and the fees when working out a contract. One of the IBM websites, http://www-03.ibm.com/systems/z/resources/swprice/ , defines 9 different MLC pricing metrics as an example of the complexity.
So if we were to define a chargeback model for a site, what is the best way to appraoch it? I can understand with your reply that it would depend on a lot of factors and gets complicated. But if we wnat to take some references from different resources as an example to start such an exercises, can you please suggest some more resources or can you please expalin with an example? Please.
enrico-sorichetti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Chargeback model

Post by enrico-sorichetti »

most probably You misinterpreted the question/reply asked/given.
it concerned ONLY the IBM pricing politics

the chargeback models are normally not influenced by the software providers prices/pricing policies

the topic was split as unrelated to the original question
cheers
enrico
When I tell somebody to RTFM or STFW I usually have the page open in another tab/window of my browser,
so that I am sure that the information requested can be reached with a very small effort 8-)
Robert Sample
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Post by Robert Sample »

I agree with enrico -- software prices from IBM have little to do with chargeback models. If your original question was about chargeback, then none of my previous reply applies -- it was ONLY in reference to software pricing from IBM. Chargeback models range from simple (no chargeback, or percentage of the machine cost per year) to very complex (rates for CPU, memory, disk storage, tape storage, channel usage, and so forth). If you are interested in chargeback, look at ftp://public.dhe.ibm.com/software/os/sy ... dology.pdf for IBM's take on it.
Rabindra Kumar

Post by Rabindra Kumar »

Thanks. Yes, I mixed the terms and realized it after seein gyour replies.

Thanks for the link.