Worst prediction you've heard about mainframe.

Other Mainframe related questions which attracts you and there is no suitable Forum you find for it and related FAQs.
Ranbeer Singh

Worst prediction you've heard about mainframe.

Post by Ranbeer Singh »

Hi,

Worst prediction you've heard about mainframe?

I was reading an article talking about the inevitable return of COBOL and it talks about that how many such prediction were made over the years. What is yours which you remember!
Anuj Dhawan
Founder
India

Re: Worst prediction you've heard about mainframe.

Post by Anuj Dhawan »

The mainframe is dead, heard back in 2003-04.
Thanks,
Anuj

Disclaimer: My comments on this website are my own and do not represent the opinions or suggestions of any other person or business entity, in any way.
Robert Sample
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Post by Robert Sample »

I think I vote for Stuart Alsop Jr's 1991 prediction that the last mainframe would be unplugged by March 15, 1996.

Also, Computerworld had regular articles in the mid-1970's stating that minicomputers would make mainframes obsolete in just a few years.
Anuj Dhawan
Founder
India

Post by Anuj Dhawan »

Robert Sample wrote: I think I vote for Stuart Alsop Jr's 1991 prediction that the last mainframe would be unplugged by March 15, 1996.

Also, Computerworld had regular articles in the mid-1970's stating that minicomputers would make mainframes obsolete in just a few years.
I wonder where are the editors of those articles now?
Thanks,
Anuj

Disclaimer: My comments on this website are my own and do not represent the opinions or suggestions of any other person or business entity, in any way.
Akatsukami
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Akatsukami »

I suspect that people with as much experience as Mr. Sample and myself have for decades heard predictions that the newest whiz-bang technology would obsolete us mainframe dinosaurs in just a few years, you betcha!

I would remind those inclined to make or listen to such predictions that dinosaurs ruled the world for one hundred million years, and that it took an asteroid strike to finish them off :D
"I come to the conclusion that, men loving according to their own will and fearing according to that of the prince, a wise prince should establish himself on that which is in his own control and not in that of others." -- Niccolò Machiavelli
Roohi N

Post by Roohi N »

I read a blog post titled "The mainframe is dead. Long live the mainframe". They claimed that there are 'Rumors are flying within IBM this week that the z Systems (mainframe) division is up for sale with the most likely buyer being Hitachi.' I think this is really a rumour only!!
Meera Longe
Registered Member

Post by Meera Longe »

I donot think that mainframes are going away any time soon. That surely is a rumor.