When to use REXEC ?

Other Mainframe related questions which attracts you and there is no suitable Forum you find for it and related FAQs.
Nitin Gadge
Registered Member

When to use REXEC ?

Post by Nitin Gadge »

Hi,

I have seen some PROCs making use of REXEC? I do not see this in the application program list. Can you please suggest when do we use it and what details are needed to call it?
Robert Sample
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Re: When to use REXEC ?

Post by Robert Sample »

REXEC is used to connect to a remote server (usually Unix or Windows) and issue a command (which could be a script, of course).  The specifics of when to use it and the details needed will vary by site as well as by application. 
Nitin Gadge
Registered Member

Post by Nitin Gadge »

Robert Sample wrote:REXEC is used to connect to a remote server (usually Unix or Windows) and issue a command (which could be a script, of course).  The specifics of when to use it and the details needed will vary by site as well as by application. 
Thanks Robert. I thought it was project specific tool.
nicc
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by nicc »

If you thought it was a project specific tool why did you ask on a general forum? No one here works at your place so no one here would know anything about your project and its tools. Of courxe, if you had Googled REXEC you would have found hits and that would indicate that it is a generally available utility and what it is used for.
Regards
Nic
Nitin Gadge
Registered Member

Post by Nitin Gadge »

I used WHOHAS command in my shop and I thought it was universal but I was told it was not. We could never see the code for it but it always worked. I thought about REXEC similar so asked about it. Sorry if it was not appropriate to ask like this.
Robert Sample
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Post by Robert Sample »

If you're not sure whether or not a particular program / function is generic or not, check the IBM manuals.  REXEC, for example, is in the Communications Server bookshelf where its use and functioning is described.  WHOHAS is not in an IBM manual; it is generally implemented as a REXX program and hence resides in SYS1.SYSPROCS (or similar name) for those sites which use it.  Of course, some sites don't use it and don't have it installed.
Nitin Gadge
Registered Member

Post by Nitin Gadge »

Robert Sample wrote:If you're not sure whether or not a particular program / function is generic or not, check the IBM manuals.  REXEC, for example, is in the Communications Server bookshelf where its use and functioning is described.  WHOHAS is not in an IBM manual; it is generally implemented as a REXX program and hence resides in SYS1.SYSPROCS (or similar name) for those sites which use it.  Of course, some sites don't use it and don't have it installed.
Thanks. This is great tip for me. Thanks again.