Emulator and simulator in mainframe.

Other Mainframe related questions which attracts you and there is no suitable Forum you find for it and related FAQs.
Ankit Gupta
Registered Member

Emulator and simulator in mainframe.

Post by Ankit Gupta »

Hi,

Is the concept of Emulator and simulator in mainframe same? If I say I am using a simulator to connect to mainframes or if I say I am using an emulator to connect to mainframes, do they carry same or similar meaning? I have seen many people using them interchangeably..
Robert Sample
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Re: Emulator and simulator in mainframe.

Post by Robert Sample »

In my mind the two terms are NOT interchangeable.  The term "emulator" is most commonly associated with 3270 terminal access to a mainframe, where the Windows / Unix software is emulating a 3270 terminal and hence 3270 data streams are going from / to the mainframe and the Windows / Unix software interprets the 3270 data stream for the GUI.  The term "simulator" is associated with Hercules-390, which simulates a mainframe through software on a PC or Unix machine.  Given an operating system, a Hercules-390 machine acts very closely to the same as a mainframe (although there are differences).
enrico-sorichetti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by enrico-sorichetti »

The term "simulator" is associated with Hercules-390, which simulates a mainframe through software on a PC or Unix machine. Given an operating system, a Hercules-390 machine acts very closely to the same as a mainframe (although there are differences).
I do not know who made the association, but Hercules is an emulator ..
http://www.hercules-390.org

An emulation is a system that behaves exactly like something else, and adheres
to all of the rules of the system being emulated.

It is effectively a complete replication of another system, right down to being
binary compatible with the emulated system's inputs and outputs, but operating
in a different environment to the environment of the original emulated system.
The rules are fixed, and cannot be changed, or the system fails.

if You log-in to TSO on a <OS> running under Hercules what You see and get is EXACTLY what You would see and get
if You had logged-in to TSO on a <OS> running on a real mainframe
cheers
enrico
When I tell somebody to RTFM or STFW I usually have the page open in another tab/window of my browser,
so that I am sure that the information requested can be reached with a very small effort 8-)
Mukesh Mistry
Registered Member

Post by Mukesh Mistry »

If I say I am using a simulator to connect to mainframes or if I say I am using an emulator to connect to mainframes, do they carry same or similar meaning? I have seen many people using them interchangeably..
We call Tn3270 as emulator and I think that correct way of saying is "I am using an emulator to connect to mainframes".
Ankit Gupta
Registered Member

Post by Ankit Gupta »

enrico-sorichetti wrote:
The term "simulator" is associated with Hercules-390, which simulates a mainframe through software on a PC or Unix machine.  Given an operating system, a Hercules-390 machine acts very closely to the same as a mainframe (although there are differences).
I do not know who made the association, but Hercules is an emulator ..
http://www.hercules-390.org
So Rumba, TN3270 etc all are emulators and not simulators?Right?