Can STP use VSAM?

Other Mainframe related questions which attracts you and there is no suitable Forum you find for it and related FAQs.
Tani Oberoi

Can STP use VSAM?

Post by Tani Oberoi »

Hi,

Can STP use VSAM datasets? I have searched about it but in vain. Can some one suggest about it?
Robert Sample
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Re: Can STP use VSAM?

Post by Robert Sample »

Assuming you mean Server Time Protocol when you say "STP", then the answer is no.  STP uses coupling facility links, which are not VSAM.  If you meant something other than Server Time Protocol when you said "STP", you will need to explain what you meant.
Anuj Dhawan
Founder
India

Post by Anuj Dhawan »

I'll hazard a guess STP is used for "Stored Procedure", in this context. But as the topic is in Other Mainframe Topics, Off-Topics, FAQs. part of the Forum, I may be way off mark guessing!
Thanks,
Anuj

Disclaimer: My comments on this website are my own and do not represent the opinions or suggestions of any other person or business entity, in any way.
Robert Sample
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Post by Robert Sample »

STP in the US is usually an additive for automobile fuel and has nothing to do with mainframes.
Tani Oberoi

Post by Tani Oberoi »

I was asking about DB2 Stored Procedures. Can you please explain if VSAM can be used in a DB2 Store Procedures?
Anuj Dhawan
Founder
India

Post by Anuj Dhawan »

[font=Arial]You can use VSAM in DB2 Store Procedures. VSAM files and flat files can be accessed directly by stored procedures, as long as the files are made available to the SPAS with appropriate JCL DD statements. In such cases, the userid associated with the SPAS address space is used to check authorizations. For more details, look here :[/font]

Accessing non-DB2 resources in your stored procedure

Applications that run in a stored procedures address space can access any resources that are available to z/OS® address spaces. For example, they can access VSAM files, flat files, APPC/MVS conversations, and IMS™ or CICS® transactions.

About this task

Accessing these resources from a stored procedure can be useful if you want to update older applications. Suppose that you have existing applications that access non-DB2 resources, but you want to use newer DB2® applications to access the same data. You do not need to rewrite the application or migrate the data to DB2. Instead, you can use stored procedures to execute the existing program or access the non-DB2 data directly.

When a stored procedure runs, the stored procedure uses the Recoverable Resource Manager Services (RRS) for commitment control. When DB2 commits or rolls back work, DB2 coordinates all updates that are made to recoverable resources by other RRS compliant resource managers in the z/OS system.

[font=Arial]PS.: You might have understood by now that such acronyms, which are not universally accepted (like STP), can make confusion. It's good to state them clearly in start.[/font]
Thanks,
Anuj

Disclaimer: My comments on this website are my own and do not represent the opinions or suggestions of any other person or business entity, in any way.