White papers on mainframes.

Other Mainframe related questions which attracts you and there is no suitable Forum you find for it and related FAQs.
Barbie Girl
Registered Member

White papers on mainframes.

Post by Barbie Girl »

Hi,

Are there some sites or something on IBM site which can give some indication towards the white papers on mainframes? I am starting with writing white papers and looking for MIPS, Mainframe security and mainframe infra topics. If you've some reference papers, not necessarily on these topics but in mainframe, please share; it'll be a great help.
Robert Sample
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Re: White papers on mainframes.

Post by Robert Sample »

Google is your friend.  Googling z/os white paper returned 2,640,000 hits which should be plenty get you started.  However, I'm curious: since white papers are generally written by companies pushing a particular solution for a particular problem, what problem(s) is your company attempting to solve in "MIPS, Mainframe security and mainframe infra (sic)" topics?  And what is "mainframe infra" anyway?  If you meant mainframe infrastructure you did yourself no good by abbreviating the term, and if you meant something else then you used a non-standard term that you needed to explain.
Barbie Girl
Registered Member

Post by Barbie Girl »

Yes, I meant "Mainframe infrastructure". We have been using this as is so frequently that it looked like a universal term.

That is one of the year end goal for us to write the white papers. I'm new and looking around for such work. I have referred some of the white papers available here in the company however was looking for a better range over the internet. And asked in the Forum to get some guidance.
enrico-sorichetti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by enrico-sorichetti »

We have been using this as is so frequently that it looked like a universal term.
no.. it' not like that

generally white papers are written by the company who makes a product
the Politically Correct logic is that a white paper even if written by the producer
will give a view of the product a bit more fair than the one provided by advertising

quite often in the IBM white papers I have seen a <pay attention to> section
cheers
enrico
When I tell somebody to RTFM or STFW I usually have the page open in another tab/window of my browser,
so that I am sure that the information requested can be reached with a very small effort 8-)
Robert Sample
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Post by Robert Sample »

We have been using this as is so frequently that it looked like a universal term.
One common mistake people new to mainframes (and sometimes people with surprisingly large amounts of experience) is to assume that because their company does something one way, or talks about something in a particular way, that this is universal.  There are many localizations that are peculiar to a company or a region.  It's not that unusual on the forum to have people post solutions that require particular third-party vendor products; if it has to be paid for, it is not going to exist at all companies!  And that applies even to some IBM products for which they charge.  For that matter, not all IBM's products that are not charged are installed at every site -- my site is just now testing z/OS Management Facility even though it has been out for several releases of z/OS.
Barbie Girl
Registered Member

Post by Barbie Girl »

Thanks for the piece of advice. THis is helpful.