What is charge back model?

Other Mainframe related questions which attracts you and there is no suitable Forum you find for it and related FAQs.
Subhash Chander
Registered Member

What is charge back model?

Post by Subhash Chander »

Hi,

What is charge back model in mainframes? Are there are multiple type of charge back models available?
Do we have some details about it from vendors and IBM available to us? Google gives some mix answers, but in connection to mainframes how it works? Can you share thoughts please.
enrico-sorichetti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: What is charge back model?

Post by enrico-sorichetti »

What is charge back model in mainframes?
the same thing as in any other environment

the users of IT services are billed
cheers
enrico
When I tell somebody to RTFM or STFW I usually have the page open in another tab/window of my browser,
so that I am sure that the information requested can be reached with a very small effort 8-)
Robert Sample
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Post by Robert Sample »

There is NO standard chargeback model on mainframes -- each site designs and implements their own.  As such, chargeback models vary widely.  Many (but not all) will charge for disk usage, tape usage, and CPU usage -- some also charge for storage usage but others don't.  They can be simple or extremely complicated.
Subhash Chander
Registered Member

Thanks. I understand different sites won't allow to understand their charge back models but are there some example of these charge back models on IBM site?
Subhash Chander
Registered Member

Or on the site of any other mainframe manufacturer?
Robert Sample
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Post by Robert Sample »

I don't really think you understand yet -- charge back is an accounting fiction that some companies use and other companies don't.  Vendors don't really care how the company accounts for the use of their system as long as the company pays for the system -- either up front or in annual payments or monthly payments or whatever.  Googling chargeback model allowed me to find this 9-year-old IBM Powerpoint presentation that might help you:  ftp://public.dhe.ibm.com/software/os/sy ... dology.pdf

But in general hardware vendors (mainframe or otherwise) are not very involved in charge back.  Perhaps you should go find an accounting forum and ask on that?
Subhash Chander
Registered Member

Thanks for your answer Robert but the ink did not open for me. If you can attach the file or share the link again, may be it will work for me.
enrico-sorichetti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by enrico-sorichetti »

it was a bit slow but it worked for me.
ftp://public.dhe.ibm.com/software/os/sy ... dology.pdf
cheers
enrico
When I tell somebody to RTFM or STFW I usually have the page open in another tab/window of my browser,
so that I am sure that the information requested can be reached with a very small effort 8-)
Robert Sample
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Post by Robert Sample »

The link is a 6-meg Powerpoint presentation.  I think what you're wanting is on one slide:
[font=sans-serif]Costing methods supported[/font]
[font=sans-serif]As described by Professor Brant Allen of the Colgat[/font][font=sans-serif]e Darden School of[/font] [font=sans-serif]Business at the University of Virginia[/font][font=sans-serif].[/font]
[font=sans-serif][/font]
[font=sans-serif]No Charge Back[/font]
[font=sans-serif]►[/font] [font=sans-serif]IT Department is Overhead[/font]
[font=sans-serif][/font]
[font=sans-serif]Overhead Allocation[/font]
[font=sans-serif]►[/font] [font=sans-serif]Based on head count, assets, revenue, floor space,[/font][font=sans-serif]and so forth (not usage)[/font]
[font=sans-serif][/font]
[font=sans-serif]Memo Record Billing[/font]
[font=sans-serif]►[/font] [font=sans-serif]We don't do this, but if we did . . .[/font]
[font=sans-serif][/font]
[font=sans-serif]Classic Chargeback[/font]
[font=sans-serif]►[/font] [font=sans-serif]End of Year Budget Charge . . . Zero Cost[/font]
[font=sans-serif][/font]
[font=sans-serif]Break Even (Year End Adjustment)[/font]
[font=sans-serif]►[/font] [font=sans-serif]Same as Classic except budgets are charged monthly[/font][font=sans-serif]. . . Zero Cost[/font]
[font=sans-serif][/font]
[font=sans-serif]Budgeted Rates[/font]
[font=sans-serif]►[/font] [font=sans-serif]See Rates for Year, Quarter, etc.[/font]
[font=sans-serif][/font]
[font=sans-serif]Standard Rates and Negotiated Prices[/font]
[font=sans-serif]►[/font] [font=sans-serif]Similar to other inter-divisional accounting practi[/font][font=sans-serif]ces. Cost and price are two different things.[/font] [font=sans-serif]The IT Department is run like a business[/font]
[font=sans-serif][/font]
[font=sans-serif]Functional Pricing[/font]
[font=sans-serif]►[/font] [font=sans-serif]Instead of CPU time, or disk usage, users are charg[/font][font=sans-serif]ed for functional items such as orders[/font] [font=sans-serif]entered, claims processed, and checks written[/font]
Subhash Chander
Registered Member

Thanks Robert and enrico.
Subhash Chander
Registered Member

I keep ongetting this:
[table][tr][td][font=Helvetica]Network Error (tcp_error)[/font][/td][/tr]
[tr][td][font=Helvetica]A communication error occurred: "Operation timed out"[/font][/td][/tr]
[tr][td][font=Helvetica]The Web Server may be down, too busy, or experiencing other problems preventing it from responding to requests. You may wish to try again at a later time.[/font][/td][/tr]
[tr][td][font=Helvetica]For assistance, contact your network support team.

Your request was categorized by Blue Coat Web Filter as 'Technology/Internet'.
If you wish to question or dispute this result, please click here.[/font]
[/td][/tr][/table]
[table][tr][td][/td][/tr][/table]
This looks like a problem with my office firewall.