Virus and Mainframe?

Other Mainframe related questions which attracts you and there is no suitable Forum you find for it and related FAQs.
Gagan Ram

Virus and Mainframe?

Post by Gagan Ram »

Hi,

Why it is always said that the mainframe is so secure and the virus can't affect the mainframe? Historically is this never happened?
William Collins
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Virus and Mainframe?

Post by William Collins »

Because Punched Cards are "read only".
Anuj Dhawan
Founder
India

Post by Anuj Dhawan »

I'd believe that any "virus" is created to do a damage in "any" environment and to do that it (program - the virus) should have the capability of execution in the said environment. If you can't execute your virus-program, you really can't do damage. Now, accepting the fact that the "virus" must acquire an "authority" to access and possibly change the data and programs we also need to consider the fact that to attain these attributes in a mainframe environment are difficult (if not impossible).

Said that, I believe mainframes can be impacted by viruses but you need to be very skilled to do that...the industry is, anyways, in lack of mainframe programmers for more than a decade now -- so getting virus on mainframes is a distant possibility!

That's an interesting take on it William! :)
Thanks,
Anuj

Disclaimer: My comments on this website are my own and do not represent the opinions or suggestions of any other person or business entity, in any way.
Robert Sample
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Post by Robert Sample »

Theoretically, a virus could be written that would recompile itself on each platform and could thus impact a mainframe. However, the mainframe architecture is radically different from the Intel architecture used for Windows and Unix machines (Intel machines use ASCII while mainframes use EBCDIC just as one example) and hence would require a compile for the virus to be executable on the mainframe. Most mainframe sites have security implemented which could prevent such a recompile. I don't think it is impossible for a mainframe virus to be developed, but the difficulty is probably 2 or 3 orders of magnitude more difficult than Windows viruses.
zprogrammer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by zprogrammer »

Probably in my view Virus could be be still injected only by the person within the SYSTEM as most of the access related things are stopped by the "RACF"
May be some naughty admin could think of doing it at cost off some severe punishment and loss of job
zprogrammer
Gagan Ram

Post by Gagan Ram »

William Collins wrote:Because Punched Cards are "read only".
But we don't use punch cards. All is on computers now. And for many comapnies it is outsourced but it is still secured?
enrico-sorichetti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by enrico-sorichetti »

But we don't use punch cards
&holy &deity ...
looks like You do not have a bit of sense of humor :mrgreen:
cheers
enrico
When I tell somebody to RTFM or STFW I usually have the page open in another tab/window of my browser,
so that I am sure that the information requested can be reached with a very small effort 8-)
William Collins
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by William Collins »

Yes, it was a joke.

Think of something a virus does, like trash a hard-disk. How would you trash a hard-disk on a Mainframe? Attach itself to another executable file? Scan your email folder and send itself to everyone?

In many years I've only ever once managed to trash a Mainframe hard-disk (and it was an accident, and recoverable (from the image backups which fortunately had been taken earlier that day).
Gagan Ram

Post by Gagan Ram »

Understand that it was a joke but is it that virus never attacked mainframe becuause it never had general users using it? And it is used only by "maintainence" programmers?
Robert Sample
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Post by Robert Sample »

but is it that virus never attacked mainframe becuause it never had general users using it? And it is used only by "maintainence" programmers?
I don't really think you understand the previous posts.  There are MILLIONS of "general user(s)" of mainframes every day.  And thousands of application programmers (I assume that is what you meant by "maintanance (sic) programmers" use the mainframe every day.  Writing a virus for a mainframe could probably be done -- but it would be MUCH more difficult that writing a virus for a Windows machine; the architecture is radically different, the underlying principles of operation are radically different, the security process on the mainframe is radically different, and so forth.  How would the virus spread since most mainframes are isolated from the internet?