A complex question on space abend.

All sort of Mainframes Interview Questions.
HajiAmida
Registered Member

A complex question on space abend.

Post by HajiAmida »

Hi,

This question is related to SB37 I am sure but as it was asked I could not answer it. Can someone help me. The question is, if a file, file-1, has just 10 records while the DD statement for it has the space allocation as SPACE=(CYL,(40,10)). But we still get a space abend. Tell us why would this happen and what kind of abend we'll get?
Robert Sample
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Re: A complex question on space abend.

Post by Robert Sample »

If the allocation is done on a volume that does not have 40 free cylinders available in 5 extents, you'd get a space ABEND. The number of records is irrelevant to this issue.

If the data set is under SMS control, you won't get a space ABEND at all. SMS will give you messages about how many volumes could not be allocated (in the storage group) and how many did not have enough free space.
HajiAmida
Registered Member

Post by HajiAmida »

Robert Sample wrote:If the allocation is done on a volume that does not have 40 free cylinders available in 5 extents, you'd get a space ABEND. The number of records is irrelevant to this issue.

If the data set is under SMS control, you won't get a space ABEND at all. SMS will give you messages about how many volumes could not be allocated (in the storage group) and how many did not have enough free space.
So you mean to say that even if we don't have the 40 free cylinders available we shall not get any abend?
Robert Sample
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Post by Robert Sample »

I don't recall -- when I have the time I'll do some research. There would be IGD messages generated but I'm not sure what the job ends up with.
HajiAmida
Registered Member

Post by HajiAmida »

Thanks Robert. I did some research on IGD message as hinted by you and got this link https://www-01.ibm.com/support/knowledg ... ssages.htm

From there I find these related to SPACE:

IGD17004I
NOT ENOUGH SPACE FOR PDS DIRECTORY ON VOLUME vol FOR DATA SET dsn

IGD17014I
ZERO SPACE REQUESTED FOR DATA SET dsname

IGD17036I
DIRECTORY SPACE BEING REQUESTED IS GREATER THAN PRIMARY SPACE FOR DATA SET dsname

IGD17045I
SPACE NOT SPECIFIED FOR ALLOCATION OF DATA SET dsname

IGD17051I
ALLOCATION FAILED FOR DATA SET dsname, PRIMARY SPACE EXCEEDS 65535|16,777,215 TRKS

GD17074I
GUARANTEED SPACE VOLUME LIST WAS INVALID.

IGD17205I
VOLUMES SPECIFIED ARE NOT IN THE SAME STORAGE GROUP FOR A GUARANTEED SPACE REQUEST FOR DATA SET dsname

IGD17206I
VOLUME SELECTION HAS FAILED - THERE ARE NOT ENOUGH VOLUMES WITH SUFFICIENT SPACE FOR DATA SET dsname

IGD17215I
NO SPACE SPECIFIED FOR CREATION OF VSAM DATA SET dsname

IGD17217I
UNABLE TO USE VOLUME volser FOR GUARANTEED SPACE REQUEST FOR DATA SET dsname

IGD17225I
VOLUME volser IS NOT IN ANY OF THE ELIGIBLE STORAGE GROUPS FOR CREATION OF GUARANTEED SPACE DATA SET dsname

IGD17249I
THE VSAM EOV EXTEND REQUEST FOR DATA SET (DSN) FAILED BECAUSE A VOLUME (VOLSER) WAS PROVIDED TO SMS FOR NON-GUARANTEED SPACE REQUEST

and some more.

I think IGD17275I can be a fit here:
IGD17275I

z/OS MVS System Messages, Vol 8 (IEF-IGD)
SA38-0675-02

IGD17275I
NO ELIGIBLE STORAGE GROUP HAS ENOUGH SPACE FOR BEST FIT REQUEST - ALLOCATION FOR DATA SET dsname FAILED
Explanation

In a ‘best fit’ request for a data set, none of the selected storage groups have enough space.

In the message text:
dsname
The data set name.
System action

The SMS VTOC data set services request fails.

Programmer response

Do one of the following:
Reduce the primary space requirement, and resubmit the request.
Determine the amount of space required to satisfy the ‘best fit’ request, and which storage groups have that much space. Then force the selection of one of those storage groups when you resubmit the request.