Difference between conversational and pseudo conversational programming in CICS?

All sort of Mainframes Interview Questions.
Anand Bharti

Difference between conversational and pseudo conversational programming in CICS?

Post by Anand Bharti »

What is the difference between conversational and pseudo conversational programming in CICS? Tell the difference from the user's point of view.

I was not clear on the second line of the question but I said in conversational programming terminal would never leave the control on the screen until some value is entered by the user whereas in pseudo conversational programming control would not be there and would returned back when the user enters values on the screen.

But I could not tell any difference from the user point of view.
zprogrammer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Difference between conversational and pseudo conversational programming in CICS?

Post by zprogrammer »

Please check the link below for detailed explanation

https://www-01.ibm.com/support/knowledg ... dle_17.htm
zprogrammer
Robert Sample
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Re: Difference between conversational and pseudo conversational programming in CICS?

Post by Robert Sample »

With conversational programs, the control remains in the program -- it displays a map, waits for the response, and then processes the response in a single transaction. With pseudo-conversational programs, the control remains in CICS. The program displays a map and then returns to CICS. When the response is received, CICS starts the program up again (as a totally separate program) so it can receive the response and then process it.

From the user's point of view, the two methods should appear the same. The difference is in the resources used (since the conversational program continues to run while waiting for user responses) and how many transactions are required to process one unit of work.
Anuj Dhawan
Founder
India

Post by Anuj Dhawan »

I agree with Robert - from a users's point of view there will not be any difference as such but if all the programs written as conversational, for a given system -- users will be pissed off with the overall performance of the system!
Thanks,
Anuj

Disclaimer: My comments on this website are my own and do not represent the opinions or suggestions of any other person or business entity, in any way.