For a static call, how the called program and a calling program link, each other.

All sort of Mainframes Interview Questions.
Sandeep Badal

For a static call, how the called program and a calling program link, each other.

Post by Sandeep Badal »

Hi,

I was aksed this in an interview but I could not asnser this. Can you please help me: For a static call, how the called program and a calling program link, each other?
enrico-sorichetti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: For a static call, how the called program and a calling program link, each other.

Post by enrico-sorichetti »

You were asked a pretty stupid question ...
what details did the interviewer want ?

a generic question like this one deserves a generic answer

a static call is resolved by the linkage-editor ( program-binder in the new terminology - NOT the db2 bind )
cheers
enrico
When I tell somebody to RTFM or STFW I usually have the page open in another tab/window of my browser,
so that I am sure that the information requested can be reached with a very small effort 8-)
William Collins
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: For a static call, how the called program and a calling program link, each other.

Post by William Collins »

enrico is correct with both points. In an interview, it can be very difficult to answer a general question specifically, as you don't know what is wanted. Ask for clarification or present a couple of divergent answers, or give a general answer.

In addition, the COBOL compiler generates different code for a static CALL than for a dynamic CALL. The linkeditor/program binder resolves the addresses for a static CALL. The dynamic CALL is resolved at runtime (ie the address is expected and processed in an entirely different way), with Language Environment handling the loading of the module (if not already done).

If you have access to a Mainframe at the moment, look at the code generated for both types of CALL.

Also, an interviewer may be a non-technical person, with a list of questions and expected answers only. Also, they may be technical, but it is not beyond the bounds of possibility that they are wrong (there are many "myths" in COBOL). Try to show what you know, that is relevant. If you actually know it, that doesn't mean just repeating something you read somewhere.

Don't be afraid to say "I don't understand the question" or "I don't know the answer you want" or even "I don't know the answer". It can be difficult, but beats being flat-out wrong (according to the interviewer).