Dirty read in VSAM.

All sort of Mainframes Interview Questions.
Raghwan

Dirty read in VSAM.

Post by Raghwan »

For a recent interview, I was asked a question which I am quite sure about. What is a dirty read in VSAM? Have you ever used the "dirty read" technique?

I could not answer this question. I have searched and find out that the "dirty read" technique can be used to provide a high degree of concurrent access to VSAM files while avoiding the complications associated with CI and CA splits. If it's a technique, why it is called "dirty"? Technique should be widely accepted... can some one please help me understaning the answer for this question.
Robert Sample
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Re: Dirty read in VSAM.

Post by Robert Sample »

Go to http://www.redbooks.ibm.com and find the VSAM Demystified Redbook. Download it and read it to answer many VSAM questions. From this book:
With batch programs using RLS, you have a choice of two ways of handling read integrity. The
default is no read integrity (NRI) where record locks are not obtained for a read. This
configuration means that you can read a record and get uncommitted data that might be
backed out. This is sometimes called a dirty read. The other option is to ask for a consistent
read. In this case, RLS ensures that the read request waits until updates for that record are
committed.