What is impact analysis?

All sort of Mainframes Interview Questions.
Vijay Jadhav

What is impact analysis?

Post by Vijay Jadhav »

Hi,

I was aksed in an interview that what is an impact analysis?

My answer was: When there is a change in some component, we analyse the system to see the impact of that change and that is impact analysis.

I think my answer is fine but can I make it sound better somehow. Can some please help me to rephrase it better and if it is not correct what is the right answer.
Anuj Dhawan
Founder
India

Re: What is impact analysis?

Post by Anuj Dhawan »

Your answer sounds correct unless there is more to it. Possibly, citing some example, such as an impact analysis for a change in copybook, might have helped you to put your answer in better prespective - though it depends on what he wanted to listen.
Thanks,
Anuj

Disclaimer: My comments on this website are my own and do not represent the opinions or suggestions of any other person or business entity, in any way.
Vijay Jadhav

Post by Vijay Jadhav »

Thanks Anuj. As interviewer didn't look satisfied so I thought if it was correct or not.

Thanks for the example. I should have done that.
Anuj Dhawan
Founder
India

Post by Anuj Dhawan »

You're welcome and Good Luck! :)
Thanks,
Anuj

Disclaimer: My comments on this website are my own and do not represent the opinions or suggestions of any other person or business entity, in any way.
William Collins
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by William Collins »

The other thing which may have been wanted is what to do when an error is revealed in a system. What is the impact of the error. This can be many times more complex and involved, particularly with errors which turn out to have been around a while. Errors may have affected clients in the system, other systems, external companies, financial or regulatory reports, money may have been paid out in error, or kept it error, 100 crates of biscuits may have been routed to Timbuktu, or delivered to Mrs Jones and 10, Acacia Avenue.

Whatever has happened has to be identified, quantified, assessed, and not just by the systems department. Often there can be time pressures on this.

It's a larger task than finding out what happens if I reduce the FILLEr on that record by one byte :-)