Indian music streaming startup Dhingana shuts down.

Latest IT News - Mainframes or Non-Mainframes.
Anuj Dhawan
Founder
India

Indian music streaming startup Dhingana shuts down.

Post by Anuj Dhawan »

I had been using this web-site personally for some time but today it did not work and it's disappointing to know that it's been shut down. Below is more news on that, the news is bit old however...:
WASHINGTON: Indian music streaming start-up Dhingana has reportedly shut down owing to industry challenges like piracy and after its biggest partner, T-Series, refused to renew their agreement.

Dhingana had been among the top-funded music startups in India and raised $7 million in Series B funding in October last year.

According to Tech Crunch, music-streaming services in India are faced by challenges like working with music labels and lack of standardization in signing the agreements, and music piracy that costs Indian media and entertainment industry loses of about $4 billion every year.

When T-Series refused to renew Dhingana's license for nearly 8,000 songs from the service's catalogue, it brought crisis to the company.

Meanwhile, services like Gaana.com, backed by Times Internet Ltd; and Saavn, the Spotify for Indian music, continue to survive and even expand their services, due to the enough funding they get and some innovative business models.

President of T-Series, Neeraj Kalyan said that the streaming business has to slowly move from free economy to paid economy, as sustainability of ad-supported revenue model is a big question mark, the report added.
Courtesy: Times of India
Thanks,
Anuj

Disclaimer: My comments on this website are my own and do not represent the opinions or suggestions of any other person or business entity, in any way.