IEBGENER and SYNCSORT messages.

SyncSort's Sort Product, SyncTool for z/OS, SYNCINIT and SYNCLIST.
Bethany
Registered Member

IEBGENER and SYNCSORT messages.

Post by Bethany »

Hi,

I used copy with IEBGENER but I got the following messages in spool. Why is SYNCSORT is being invoked?

Code: Select all

DATA SET UTILITY - GENERATE                                                      
 WER161B  ALTERNATE PARM USED                                                    
 WER164B  12,812K BYTES OF VIRTUAL STORAGE AVAILABLE, MAX REQUESTED,            
 WER164B     44K BYTES RESERVE REQUESTED, 1,014,232 BYTES USED                  
 WER146B  20K BYTES OF EMERGENCY SPACE ALLOCATED                                
 WER108I  SYSUT1   :  RECFM=FB   ; LRECL=    80; BLKSIZE= 27920                  
 WER110I  SYSUT2   :  RECFM=FB   ; LRECL=    80; BLKSIZE= 27920                  
 WER211B  SYNCSMF  CALLED BY SYNCSORT; RC=0000                                  
 WER416B  SYSUT1:    EXCP'S=2,UNIT=3390,DEV=AB29,CHP=A931B059CDE01C,VOL=TSO914  
 WER416B  BSAM WAS USED FOR SYSUT2                                              
 WER054I  RCD IN         16, OUT         16                                      
 WER169I  RELEASE 1.1B BATCH 0385 TPF LEVEL 1                                    
 WER052I  END SYNCSORT - ADCF7JKM,EMAIL,,DIAG=CE00,484C,E200,A0EE,86EE,68E2,A648 
SYNCSORT COPY FEATURE CALLED - RC = 0       

Is it a normal behavior? What if I need to invoke only IEBGENER specifically? Can that be done?
enrico-sorichetti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: IEBGENER and SYNCSORT messages.

Post by enrico-sorichetti »

because when Your support installed SYNCSORT decided ( when possible )
to force the use of SYNCSORT rather than that of IEBGENER ( Better performance )
cheers
enrico
When I tell somebody to RTFM or STFW I usually have the page open in another tab/window of my browser,
so that I am sure that the information requested can be reached with a very small effort 8-)
Anuj Dhawan
Founder
India

Re: IEBGENER and SYNCSORT messages.

Post by Anuj Dhawan »

In most of the shops, IEBGENER now defaults to using the SORT product unless the control statements override the use of the SORT product. As in your example, you've invoked IEBGENER for a straight copy (SYSIN DD DUMMY) and that has invoked the SORT product to do the copy instead.

As per SyncSort, if you are running SyncSort for z/OS and the BetterGener function has been enabled (installed) - in straight copy tasks, as per SyncSort, it offers improved performance over IEBGENER and under the covers SyncSort is invoked. Once BetterGener is activated, eligible IEBGENER job streams are automatically processed by SyncSort and that's why, as Enrico has said, you see that behavior.
Thanks,
Anuj

Disclaimer: My comments on this website are my own and do not represent the opinions or suggestions of any other person or business entity, in any way.