Formatting a numeric field to make it negative.

IBM's Sort Product, ICETOOL, ICEMAN and ICEGENER.
utkarsh
Registered Member

Formatting a numeric field to make it negative.

Post by utkarsh »

Hi,

For a test SORT job I need to format a numeric field to make it negative. For that, I can think of two options, one is to multiply yhr fied with "-1" or subtractit from 0. In both the case which one is more efficeint and why, please let me know.

If I have to test such scenario my own what can I do to get a fair estimate on this?
enrico-sorichetti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Formatting a numeric field to make it negative.

Post by enrico-sorichetti »

how many billions of records do You have to process that would make any difference ?
cheers
enrico
When I tell somebody to RTFM or STFW I usually have the page open in another tab/window of my browser,
so that I am sure that the information requested can be reached with a very small effort 8-)
utkarsh
Registered Member

Post by utkarsh »

Not billions of records are there but I shall have considerable amount of records, at least in millions. This job would be a daily job.
Robert Sample
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Post by Robert Sample »

Even if you are processing 10 million records per day, that is only 3.65 billion per year. With the cycle time of the system Z machines, you might (and I stress MIGHT) make a few CPU seconds difference over the course of the entire year. You have already spent more time worrying about this than you could possibly save in several years or more.
enrico-sorichetti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by enrico-sorichetti »

...I can think of two options, one is to multiply the field by -1 or subtract it from 0.
You are not making a field negative You are just switching the sign :?
cheers
enrico
When I tell somebody to RTFM or STFW I usually have the page open in another tab/window of my browser,
so that I am sure that the information requested can be reached with a very small effort 8-)
utkarsh
Registered Member

Post by utkarsh »

enrico-sorichetti wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:02 pmYou are not making a field negative You are just switching the sign
But are not both mean same?

Sorry for a late reply.
Robert Sample
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Post by Robert Sample »

But are not both mean same?
Not at all -- if the value is +10 and you multiply by -1 you have a -10; if the value is -10 and you multiply by -1 you have a +10. This is switching the sign. Making the field negative would be testing the value and if it is positive then multiply by -1; if the value is negative then don't do anything to it.
utkarsh
Registered Member

Post by utkarsh »

Robert Sample wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:32 pmNot at all -- if the value is +10 and you multiply by -1 you have a -10; if the value is -10 and you multiply by -1 you have a +10. This is switching the sign. Making the field negative would be testing the value and if it is positive then multiply by -1; if the value is negative then don't do anything to it.
:shock:, never thought it that way. Thanks.