Convert COBOL input to different format.

IBM's Sort Product, ICETOOL, ICEMAN and ICEGENER.
Rahul Mahajan

Convert COBOL input to different format.

Post by Rahul Mahajan »

Hi.

We get a file from a different sever (which I'm not sure if it is windows or some other mainframe) but it's copied to our mainframe as a sequential file as a VB file. LRECL is 300.

We need to process this file through a COBOL program. The COBOL program can process the FB file. I want to convert the VB to fixed length file.

To do that, I used IEBGENER but it did not wor out and I got the error "Conflicting DCB Parameters". Can a sort function do this?
Akatsukami
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Convert COBOL input to different format.

Post by Akatsukami »

Why don't you just write the program to read a VB data set? We're not talking rocket science here.
"I come to the conclusion that, men loving according to their own will and fearing according to that of the prince, a wise prince should establish himself on that which is in his own control and not in that of others." -- Niccolò Machiavelli
Magesh_j
Registered Member

Post by Magesh_j »

Rahul Mahajan,

If you catalog a dataset with FB 300 and allow the external server to transfer data into it, then it would be in fixed.

Any file you are transferring without providing the format to mainframe will get cataloged as VB.

Thanks
Magesh
Robert Sample
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Post by Robert Sample »

Any file you are transferring without providing the format to mainframe will get cataloged as VB.
Maybe, maybe not. DFSMS can be used to set defaults for fixed data set allocation. Also, the FTP default is variable but that can be changed by the site, not to mention the value can be overridden by the FTP QUOTE SITE (or QUOTE LOCSITE) command to fixed instead of variable. So stating that the data set will be catalogued as VB is not necessarily a true statement as the actual default will depend upon the site, the file transfer method, and possibly the DFSMS defaults.