Read the manual. What do you think it there for?

IBM's Sort Product, ICETOOL, ICEMAN and ICEGENER.
ForoXLL

Read the manual. What do you think it there for?

Post by ForoXLL »

Hi,

Sorry for the title but I could not post in the topic I posted viewtopic.php?f=28&t=2425. I searched the manuals but RC=4 can be set with NULLOUT but not 2. As we are trying to replace a program which sets up RC=2, so I have askedthe question.
Akatsukami
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Read the manual. What do you think it there for?

Post by Akatsukami »

ForoXLL wrote: Hi,

Sorry for the title but I could not post in the topic I posted viewtopic.php?f=28&t=2425. I searched the manuals but RC=4 can be set with NULLOUT but not 2. As we are trying to replace a program which sets up RC=2, so I have askedthe question.
Assuming that you did a competent job of searching, the conclusion ought to be that DFSORT cannot be made to return CC=2, and that therefore another solution must be sought.
"I come to the conclusion that, men loving according to their own will and fearing according to that of the prince, a wise prince should establish himself on that which is in his own control and not in that of others." -- Niccolò Machiavelli
Robert Sample
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Re: Read the manual. What do you think it there for?

Post by Robert Sample »

You cannot post to the topic because it was locked by a moderator.

If an IBM manual indicates something can be done, that's usually the case. If an IBM manual does not mention anything about what you are looking for, there's an excellent chance that what you are wanting to do cannot be done in the way you want to do it. In your case, the DFSORT Messages, Codes and Diagnosis Guide manual has this:
For successful completion, DFSORT passes back a return code of 0 or 4 to the operating system or the invoking program.

For unsuccessful completion due to an unsupported operating system, DFSORT passes back a return code of 24 to the operating system or the invoking program.

For unsuccessful completion with NOABEND in effect, DFSORT passes back a return code of 16, 20 or 28 to the operating system or the invoking program.

For unsuccessful completion with ABEND in effect, DFSORT issues a user abend with the appropriate code as specified by the ABCODE installation option (either the error message number or a number between 1 and 99).

For additional information on DFSORT User Abends, see User abends at run time.
The meanings of the return codes that DFSORT passes back (in register 15) are:

Successful completion. DFSORT completed successfully.
Successful completion. DFSORT completed successfully, and:

OVFLO=RC4 was in effect and summary fields overflowed, or
PAD=RC4 was in effect and the SORTOUT LRECL was larger than the SORTIN/SORTINnn LRECL (LRECL padding), or
TRUNC=RC4 was in effect and the SORTOUT LRECL was smaller than the SORTIN/SORTINnn LRECL (LRECL truncation), or
SPANINC=RC4 was in effect and one or more incomplete spanned records was detected, or
NULLOUT=RC4 was in effect and there were no records for the SORTOUT data set, or
NULLOFL=RC4 was in effect and there were no data records for an OUTFIL data set

Unsuccessful completion. DFSORT detected an error that prevented it from completing successfully.
Message data set missing. Installation option NOMSGDD=QUIT was in effect and neither a message data set DD statement nor a SYSOUT DD statement was provided.
Unsupported operating system. This operating system is not supported by this release of DFSORT.
Wrong entry name. DFSORT detected one of the following errors related to the program entry name that prevented it from completing successfully:

DFSORT was invoked directly with PGM=ICEMAN64 or PGM=SORT64 (instead of with PGM=ICEMAN or PGM=SORT).
DFSORT was invoked from a program using entry name ICEMAN64 or SORT64, and an extended invocation parameter list, or a 24-bit invocation parameter list (instead of a 64-bit invocation parameter list).
DFSORT was invoked from a program using an entry name other than ICEMAN64 or SORT64 (for example, ICEMAN or SORT) and a 64-bit invocation parameter list.
so I would say the chances of you getting a return code of 2 out of DFSORT are pretty close to zero.