Learning Sort.

IBM's Sort Product, ICETOOL, ICEMAN and ICEGENER.
Vijay Mangalam

Learning Sort.

Post by Vijay Mangalam »

Hi,

I want to learn SORT. Where can I start learning it? This forum says to discuss about IBM DFSort, ICETOOL, ICEMAN, ICEGENER, can all of them be learned by learning SORT? Please suggest where can I start from?

Thansk for any help on this.
Magesh_j
Registered Member

Re: Learning Sort.

Post by Magesh_j »

Yes..all of them.

Read dfsort getting started.

Thanks
Magesh
nicc
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by nicc »

And after reading "Getting Started" read DFSort Tricks and also the DFSort manual.
Make up some data (or use the sample data in the manuals) and try out the various keywords and parameters - One JSL step for each which you can then keep and re-use for real. Use lots of comments - in my samples I include the input data and output data as JCL comments.
Regards
Nic
Sonam Choudhary
Registered Member

Post by Sonam Choudhary »

"z/OS DFSORT: Getting Started is a user’s guide and tutorial for DFSORT (Data Facility Sort). You should read it if you are not familiar with DFSORT and would like to learn the many ways you can use DFSORT and DFSORT's ICETOOL utility to process data sets. Both new and experienced DFSORT users can use this document as a general guide to the many features available with DFSORT and ICETOOL. This document introduces you to the JCL, control statements and features of DFSORT and ICETOOL with numerous examples. z/OS DFSORT:

Getting Started can help you get the most out of z/OS DFSORT Application Programming Guide, which has the complete details on all of the topics introduced in this document. The chapters in this document assume that you have used job control language (JCL) and understand how to work with data sets. You should also know what data sets are available at your site."

http://publibz.boulder.ibm.com/epubs/pdf/ice2cg10.pdf

the attachment was deleted, no reason to waste space on the forum server ,
when the document is available directly from the source
BobThomas
Registered Member

Post by BobThomas »

Sonam Choudhary wrote: the attachment was deleted, no reason to waste space on the forum server ,
How much space would it take anyways? There are many heavy sites we have on the internet now. May be I am wrong but want to know. Because in my office the ftp from many sites is blocked, from IBM also. But if the document is linked to tth topic I can download it otherwise I can not.