XREF in file-aid?

File-AID from Compuware and File Manager from IBM.
Akshya Chopra
Registered Member
Algeria

XREF in file-aid?

Post by Akshya Chopra »

Hello,

Could some one please tell me what is XREF in file-aid? And when we use it? I see the reference about it on the File-Aid screen and F1 does not seem to help much.

Thanks
Robert Sample
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Re: XREF in file-aid?

Post by Robert Sample »

From the Online Reference Manual:
CHAP_2.14.3 Record Layout XREF Dataset

A record layout cross reference (XREF) dataset contains information created using option 7, XREF. XREF datasets are used in the following File-AID functions:
Formatted and vertical formatted mode of browse and edit

Formatted selection criteria definitions

Formatted print

Formatted compare criteria.
If you specify an XREF dataset and an X in Record layout usage on a dataset specification screen without specifying a member, File-AID displays a list of members. You can select an XREF member with the S (Select) line or primary command. For an XREF dataset, the dataset organization must be partitioned (DSORG=PO). The record format must be variable-blocked (RECFM=VB). The logical record length must be 300 (LRECL=300). And the XREF dataset must have a minimum block size of 304 (BLKSIZE=304). XREF and selection criteria members can be stored in the same dataset. You create record layout XREF members to communicate information about the COBOL or PL/I record layout dataset to File-AID in the following situations:
The data file you want to process contains more than one type of record, where each type of record requires a different layout to define it. The XREF member contains the location and values in the record type fields and the corresponding record layout members that define the data records with those values.

The record layout(s) you want File-AID to use are stored in a source library member containing multiple record layouts.

The record layout(s) you want File-AID to use are imbedded in a COBOL or PL/I program.
Anuj Dhawan
Founder
India

Post by Anuj Dhawan »

As Robert has said - with XREF you can view a file in File Aid with multiple record layouts. You might also like to see this thread: viewtopic.php?f=24&t=212
Thanks,
Anuj

Disclaimer: My comments on this website are my own and do not represent the opinions or suggestions of any other person or business entity, in any way.
Akshya Chopra
Registered Member
Algeria

Post by Akshya Chopra »

Thanks Robert and Anuj.

Appreciate your help.
Anuj Dhawan
Founder
India

Post by Anuj Dhawan »

You're welcome! :)
Thanks,
Anuj

Disclaimer: My comments on this website are my own and do not represent the opinions or suggestions of any other person or business entity, in any way.