IBM File Manager for IMS, can we limit while extract.

File-AID from Compuware and File Manager from IBM.
Vijay Pratap Singh

IBM File Manager for IMS, can we limit while extract.

Post by Vijay Pratap Singh »

Hi,

For a testing I want to load some IMS database records from production to test. And for this I am looking for an easy way to create a sub set of data from Prod. Basically, I want to extract the first, say 5,000 root segmens along with their children to load it in the test environment later.

There is a longer way to go by using the key but is there a way to limit the number of records to be fetched? Please help if you know this.
enrico-sorichetti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: IBM File Manager for IMS, can we limit while extract.

Post by enrico-sorichetti »

what does the File_manager manual tell about it ?
cheers
enrico
When I tell somebody to RTFM or STFW I usually have the page open in another tab/window of my browser,
so that I am sure that the information requested can be reached with a very small effort 8-)
Aarohi D

Post by Aarohi D »

You should lok at the KEYLIST, KEYRANGE and MAXROOTS parameters. Actually, you can use the Extract dialog to generate the JCL for a job that extracts data from your IMS databases. But the Extract dialog does not generate these three parameters.

This is from IBM: The KEYLIST parameter allows you to specify a list of the root segment key values of the database records that you want extracted. You can, of course, specify this list in a keys file, but this parameter provides you with an alternative way of specifying the key list. Unlike the keys file, however, the KEYLIST parameter also allows you to specify partial keys - if the length of a specified root key value is less than the key length of the root segment, the function considers it to be the first part of the key and extracts all those database records with root key values that match the partial key value.

The KEYRANGE parameter allows you to specify the start and end of a range of root key values. The function extracts those database records that have a root key value in the specified range.

The MAXROOTS parameter allows you to limit the number of database records that the function extracts. When this parameter is specified, the function counts the number of database records that it has extracted and terminates when it reaches the specified limit.

This shows an example of using all this with a JCL: http://www-01.ibm.com/support/knowledge ... nu327a.htm
Vijay Pratap Singh

Post by Vijay Pratap Singh »

Thanks for the details.