CICS transaction, how can i see memory allocated to it??

Customer Information Control System. Middleware and MQ Series.
Anil
Registered Member

CICS transaction, how can i see memory allocated to it??

Post by Anil »

Guys, need one help, i have defined a new CICS transaction, how can i see memory allocated to it??

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Thanks,
Anil
Robert Sample
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Re: CICS transaction, how can i see memory allocated to it??

Post by Robert Sample »

Use the site monitor software (such as Mainview or Omegamon) to find memory usage. If your site does not use monitor software, then there's not much you can do to find memory usage of a transaction unless someone analyzes the SMF 110 records.
Anil
Registered Member

Post by Anil »

oh, thank you. :shock:
Thanks,
Anil
Robert Sample
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Post by Robert Sample »

Reading my previous response -- while correct, it probably should have some additional information added. For starters, a transaction has no memory allocated to it, ever -- period. A transaction is a DEFINITION and only a definition. When that transaction is invoked (whether from a terminal or any of the other ways it can get started), it becomes a task and at that point the TASK will be allocated memory. CICS will load the program into memory if it is not already loaded into memory, allocate storage space for the data, and start the program executing. CICS has eight areas of memory -- CDSA (CICS DSA or dynamic storage area), UDSA (User DSA), SDSA (Shared DSA), RDSA (Read-only DSA) and extended versions of each of these (ECDSA, EUDSA, ESDSA, ERDSA). Extended means the memory comes from the area above the line (31-bit storage) and not below the line (24-bit storage). Reentrant programs and tables will be loaded into the RDSA or ERDSA depending upon their residency mode. Note with recent releases of CICS / z/OS, there are also ETDSA (extended trusted DSA), GCDSA (above the bar 64-bit storage for CICS), GUDSA (above the bar 64-bit storage for users), and GSDSA (above the bar 64-bit shared DSA). To further complicate the picture, MRO (multiregion operation) allows a terminal in CICS region A to invoke a transaction in CICS region B, so the memory for the task may not even appear in the region that the user has their terminal tied to. Hence, asking about memory allocation to a transaction is not a very clear question -- because the transaction has to be started to become a task before it has any memory at all, and depending upon the program it may use above the line or below the line storage (few programs are using 64-bit memory at this point).

CICS provides a program to generate statistics that might provide information on task (program) storage usage. This program is DFH0STAT and it can analyze the end-of-day statistics CICS generates in the SMF records (and I believe it can generate statistics dynamically, but it's been a while since I've worked with DFH0STAT so I'm not sure).
Anil
Registered Member

Post by Anil »

Thank you Robert.
Thanks,
Anil