Please recycle CICS region.

Customer Information Control System. Middleware and MQ Series.
Prakash Jha
Registered Member

Please recycle CICS region.

Post by Prakash Jha »

Hi,

Our company has acquired a new company where they are using mainframes. I have also started working on their mainframe. Here every now and then we keep on getting these messages "would you please recycle CICS####, Table full.", where #### is a CICS region name. I have not seen this kind of practice in any other company. The reason seems somewhat clear but why other companies are not doing this and still managing their different CICS regions?
Robert Sample
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Re: Please recycle CICS region.

Post by Robert Sample »

Different sites do things differently. Apparently, at that site the applications group has enough influence to mandate a bounce of the CICS region when some table gets full. It is unusual but by no means unheard of for such actions to be taken.
Prakash Jha
Registered Member

Post by Prakash Jha »

Thanks. If we want to avoid it, what should be done?

As you said there are sites which don't do it; what do they do not to get the CICS region recycled again and again.
enrico-sorichetti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by enrico-sorichetti »

Prakash Jha wrote: If we want to avoid it, what should be done?
find out the why of the application behaviour
cheers
enrico
When I tell somebody to RTFM or STFW I usually have the page open in another tab/window of my browser,
so that I am sure that the information requested can be reached with a very small effort 8-)
Robert Sample
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Post by Robert Sample »

If we want to avoid it, what should be done?
Why would you want to do that? The site has been running -- possibly for quite some time -- with the way things are. If you REALLY want to get rid of the console messages, you'll have to work with the applications group generating the messages to find out why they generate the messages, as well as how to rewrite the application to NOT generate the messages -- and rewriting applications that do not add functionality are not necessarily a high priority to most organizations.
Prakash Jha
Registered Member

Post by Prakash Jha »

Why would you want to do that?
I found it odd to see these messages, "Please recycle CICS region", nearly every day and felt there is something missing in this practice, so started finding out about it and asked here too. But it looks like it's not that bad...