DFHCOMMAREA getting initialized

Customer Information Control System. Middleware and MQ Series.
Anithab
Registered Member

DFHCOMMAREA getting initialized

Post by Anithab »

Hi all,

I I am facing a strange problem where DFCOMMAREA getting refreshed( Till this moment I believe it is DFHCOMMAREA issue)

I am having a main menu with 3 options.

When I go directly to option 3 it works and on return and if I press any other option it does not seem to be working.

Also this option was introduced and deployed to prod and there is no issue in Production but it does not seem to work in Dev environment(Same code).

Any pointers will definitely help to rectify this issue.
Robert Sample
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Re: DFHCOMMAREA getting initialized

Post by Robert Sample »

Considering how many thousands of sites use how many millions of CICS programs every day without any DFHCOMMAREA issues, I would suspect the problem is something to do with your particular use of DFHCOMMAREA, not a problem with the system. Have you talked to your site support group? The issue could be as simple as production initializes acquired storage while your test system does not (which I've seen at sites before), but it definitely is one where your site support group needs to be involved to help identify and resolve the issue.
mickeydusaor
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by mickeydusaor »

have you tried debugging the program to see just what the program is doing?????
Anithab
Registered Member

Post by Anithab »

Hi Robert, Mickey

Thanks for your response

I missed to provide one more information earlier sorry about that

If I choose option 1 and 2 directly it works but if I choose 3 it works but when I come to main menu and if I choose option 1 or 2 it doesn't work

Robert

How do I check if the acquired storage getting initialized or not ?

Do we have a command for the same
Robert Sample
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Post by Robert Sample »

The way to check is to ask your site support group. Since you are saying things run differently in test and production, your site support group needs to be aware of this so they can address the issue. I don't know of any command that will tell you if storage is being initialized or not, although one of the SP API commands might tell you.

The description of the problem you included in your last post indicates to me that you have a program logic error. It sounds like option 3 is not being handled in the same way as the other options, and possibly you're seeing a map displayed after the program ended, or some other similar logic error.

Have you tried running through the code with a debugger (CEDF if nothing else)? If not, why not?
Anithab
Registered Member

Post by Anithab »

Yes Robert I ran through the code using Expeditor I found DFHCOMMAREA getting refreshed on return

But if there is a program logic how would it works fine in Production

Also I don't have authority to DEBUG In Production
Robert Sample
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Post by Robert Sample »

If production has storage initialization, and DFHCOMMAREA values are being set to X'00', for example, which could be a half-word or full-word COMP zero then your program logic could be testing against ZERO and succeeding in production while failing in test (because the value is NOT X'00' in test and hence not ZERO). This is why I told you to contact your site support group -- they need to know that something is different between production and test.

And all this assumes, of course, that the EXACT same program is being used in test and production -- an assumption that is more often than not incorrect; many sites may have more than one programmer making changes to a program and hence some changes may have been staged to test that are not in the production version. The only way to verify this is to copy the production load module back to test and run there -- and, again, this requires assistance from your site support group.

You can use XPEDITOR or CEDF or anything you want to see whatever you want. Until and unless you get your site support group involved, I do not see you finding or resolving the issue. Posting on this forum is NOT helping you -- your site support group can help you. We on this forum do not work at your site and hence can be of limited support for site-specific issues.
Anithab
Registered Member

Post by Anithab »

I understand the problem Robert.. Thanks for your suggestions. I will contact the support group and I will keep you posted