Copy data from mainframe into notepad using JCL.

JES2/3, JCL, utilities.
KavalJeet
Registered Member

Copy data from mainframe into notepad using JCL.

Post by KavalJeet »

Hi,

If I've a data set which have some data. I want to copy the same data into notepad using JCL. Is it possible? if possible, what is the best way to do it?
Robert Sample
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Re: Copy data from mainframe into notepad using JCL.

Post by Robert Sample »

I assume notepad is running on a desktop PC. Desktop computers do NOT typically have available any software to allow them to function as a server, and connecting from a mainframe via JCL (or anything else) usually requires connection to a server. So, unless your site is doing some EXTREMELY UNUSUAL things with desktop computers, what you want to do is not possible.

Open FTP on your desktop, retrieve the file from the mainframe, and open the retrieved file in notepad. This is the way most of the mainframe world does what you are asking about.
Anuj Dhawan
Founder
India

Post by Anuj Dhawan »

KavalJeet wrote:If I've a data set which have some data. I want to copy the same data into notepad using JCL. Is it possible? if possible, what is the best way to do it?
I'd like to believe that your choice of words to put up your requirement did not work well - and in the attempt to read between the lines, I'd guess you actually want to transfer data from Mainframes to a Desktop Workstation. If so, possibly there are couple of ways, among which two comes to mind at the moment:

1. FTP files to Desktop, as Robert has said.
2. Using SMTP, You can send an e-mail your file as an attachment and use it as notepad later.
Thanks,
Anuj

Disclaimer: My comments on this website are my own and do not represent the opinions or suggestions of any other person or business entity, in any way.
dick scherrer
Former Team Member

Post by dick scherrer »

Suggest you ask your co-workers or support if they have downloaded a mainframe file to a desktop or shared dasd on a lan.

Someone in the organization most likely has. . . .

If you cannot do this via a batch job on the mainframe, nearly all tcp/ip clients (what you use to access the mainframe) has an ftp client built in.

To use this all you need is the information about how to connect to the ftp service on the mainframe.
Hope this helps,
d
KavalJeet
Registered Member

Post by KavalJeet »

Thanks. I'll use sending e-mail option. I was not sure how to do that.

Thanks again.