Delimiter for FTP Parameters.

JES2/3, JCL, utilities.
Jatin Singh
Registered Member

Delimiter for FTP Parameters.

Post by Jatin Singh »

Hi,

In my company, we use FTP to transfer data from mainframes to a Unix server. Question is can we give more than one FTP subcommand in a single line?

What I found is that the userid and password can be on the same line but after logging in , I can not put two subcommands on the same line. In doing so, either the next command is disregarded or taken as a parameter for the first command. So, Do we always have to give only one command per line?
Robert Sample
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Re: Delimiter for FTP Parameters.

Post by Robert Sample »

What did you find when you read the FTP section of the manual? If you have not done this, you need to start by finding the Communications Server bookshelf at your site and read the User's Guide manual on FTP.
Jatin Singh
Registered Member

Post by Jatin Singh »

I could not really find a better way of doing it. Possibly my lack of understanding the document. I've used comma to separate the commands but they were not recognized, when I put them on separate lines they work...
Robert Sample
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Post by Robert Sample »

Since the User's Guide manual makes no mention of command delimiters, and because many of the FTP subcommands have optional parameters that would make parsing a multi-command line difficult, I suspect that you will find that there is no command line delimiter in FTP. I have never had a reason to attempt to put more than one FTP subcommand on a line -- but then I've only been using FTP on various platforms for over 20 years.
Jatin Singh
Registered Member

Post by Jatin Singh »

I suspect that you will find that there is no command line delimiter in FTP. I have never had a reason to attempt to put more than one FTP subcommand on a line -- but then I've only been using FTP on various platforms for over 20 years.
I think that's correct that we can not put more than one command on single line.

Thanks Robert.