GDG and PDS.

JES2/3, JCL, utilities.
Salil
Registered Member

GDG and PDS.

Post by Salil »

Hi,

I always thought that GDGs are applicable to flat files only but I have also just seen GDGs for PDS too. When do we use GDG for PDS?

I had also noticed that we cannot specify a member name and a relative GDG number at the same time, is it correct or I got it wrong?
Robert Sample
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Re: GDG and PDS.

Post by Robert Sample »

Yes, the JCL Reference manual is clear that you can have (member) or (relative generation number) after the DSNAME, but not both. If you have a PDS GDG base, you have to use absolute generation numbers with the member name. It is rare to need a PDS GDG since specifying the data set name is more complex.
Rashmi Bansal
Registered Member

Post by Rashmi Bansal »

This is new information But why would we use GDG for PDS, if we have use it ever?
Robert Sample
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Post by Robert Sample »

I can see a use for PDS generations -- there is a daily process that generates files on a server. Those files are transferred via FTP to the mainframe for updating a DB2 data base. If the file names meet PDS member name standards, I could see using a PDS generation to hold each day's data in case of reruns.
Salil
Registered Member

Post by Salil »

Robert Sample wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:32 pmI can see a use for PDS generations -- there is a daily process that generates files on a server. Those files are transferred via FTP to the mainframe for updating a DB2 data base. If the file names meet PDS member name standards, I could see using a PDS generation to hold each day's data in case of reruns.
But this can be done using the simple GDG Generations too. Right, that is also possible?