Job is taking too long to run.

JES2/3, JCL, utilities.
alpna
Registered Member

Job is taking too long to run.

Post by alpna »

Hi,

One of our Job is taking too long to execute, upon investigation there is no error found in the JCL and later the Job completed successfully too but it took too long to execute.

There was one message which was populated in JESMSGLG:

Code: Select all

JOB12345  INGUJI3E xxxx1234 BAD ACCOUNT CODE JOB TYPE (1ST FIELD)
When I search for this error on google I could not find out the error description. Could someone please help.
alpna
Registered Member

Re: Job is taking too long to run.

Post by alpna »

I have also noticed that the Job card of the Job is:

Code: Select all

//xxxx1234 JOB SYSTEMS,
without an accounting information. I would like to experiment with this but can this really be a problem as this is production job and updates a lot of databases.
enrico-sorichetti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by enrico-sorichetti »

One of our Job is taking too long to execute,
define too long ...
as compared to

to cook a steak
to have lunch
to take a shower
any other measurable activity
cheers
enrico
When I tell somebody to RTFM or STFW I usually have the page open in another tab/window of my browser,
so that I am sure that the information requested can be reached with a very small effort 8-)
Robert Sample
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Post by Robert Sample »

A job taking too long to run is subjective, not objective, and hence is not a very reliable indicator. Job elapsed times are impacted by MANY, MANY, MANY factors on a z/OS system and not all of them can be modified to improve the job's elapsed time. Possible factors include (but definitely not limited to): number of other address spaces (started tasks, TSO users, batch jobs) in the LPAR the batch job executes in, the Workload Manager policy in effect on that LPAR, the service class the job is assigned to, the relative priorities of the job against the other work in the system, channel contention, disk contention, coding techniques, etc etc etc.

You need to talk to your site support group and get them to investigate for you. They may come back and tell you the job is running as fast as it can for that time period and LPAR -- in which case you accept that the job will run so long and move on to other tasks. Or they may come back and suggest changes (to job class or region or whatever) to improve the elapsed time.

The message about the bad account code field is something specific TO YOUR SITE and only TO YOUR SITE -- I would be very surprised if you found that message anywhere else. The fact that the job ran without an accounting field explains why the error message showed up; there may be explicit code in the accounting field processing for that specific job.