What does Abend S000 U4095 mean?

JES2/3, JCL, utilities.
demecarv
Registered Member

What does Abend S000 U4095 mean?

Post by demecarv »

I am running a very simple JCL job (see below). Basically, it triggers a shell named MY_APP_DTL_BACKUP.sh which only contains three lines. After I submited the Job I get the attached error (see AbendS000U4095.png). By looking at Job Status, I see the error under column Max-RC (see ABENDU4095.png). Going inside of the job status, I see certain output: "BACKUPA WAS NOT EXECUTED".
For my surprise, even though I see such error message, I can see my job is working as the originDirectory was copied as expected to destination. I am very begginer on it. Any suggestion will be very appreciatted as I spent two entire days reading manuals and F1 help but I am quite stuck now.

The jcl job:

Code: Select all

000001,//MyUserR JOB (MyUser,TS,4963),CARV,NOTIFY=MyUser,
000002,// CLASS=A,MSGCLASS=X,MSGLEVEL=(1,1),REGION=2047M
000003,/*JOBPARM SYSAFF=CPUmyMainframe
000004,//BACKUP   EXEC PGM=IKJEFT01,DYNAMNBR=250,REGION=0M
000005,//SYSPRINT DD SYSOUT=*
000006,//SYSTSPRT DD SYSOUT=*
000007,//STDOUT   DD SYSOUT=*
000008,//STDERR   DD SYSOUT=*
000009,//SYSTSIN DD   *
000010, BPXBATCH SH  +
000011,  /WebSphereDevelopment/scripts/dtl/MY_APP_DTL_BACKUP.sh
000012,//BACKUPA  EXEC PGM=MCIABEND,COND=(0,EQ,BACKUP)

MY_APP_DTL_BACKUP.sh
mv -r      /originDirectory /destinationDirectory
echo mkdir -p -m 777
mkdir -p -m 777 /destinationDirectory
attachments deleted,
they added nothing to the info already provided
( that the step abended with a U4095 )
Last edited by Anuj Dhawan on Tue Oct 27, 2015 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Robert Sample
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Re: What does Abend S000 U4095 mean?

Post by Robert Sample »

BPXBATCH generates various abend codes -- 4095 means that something didn't work. An error message should be generated to stderr for this.
I can see my job is working as the originDirectory was copied as expected to destination.
Your shell program has 3 commands. The first one worked so you believe the job is working? What about the second and third commands? If one of them failed, even though the directory would be copied, you would still get an abend U4095 for BPXBATCH since it evaluates the entire process, not just the first command.

Google is your friend. Goodling bpxbatch return codes returned a link to the IBM manual with the explanation of 4095 for BPXBATCH as the very first result.
demecarv
Registered Member

Post by demecarv »

As IBM tells for U4095 "Processing unsuccessful. An error message has been issued." and it didn't help much, I tried this: I took out the lines 5,6 and 7 from from my job. In other words, I left just STERR in order to narrow the error message. Then, in order to read the error message, I went to SDSF, typed H (Held output queue) but I still don't see a friendly error message. I see "JES2 ALLOCATED TO STDERR". What else could I do in order to read the error?
nicc
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by nicc »

do a ? beside the jo in SDSF and then read the STDERR data
Regards
Nic
Akatsukami
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Akatsukami »

I am curious; why are you running BPXBATCH through background TSO rather than directly?
"I come to the conclusion that, men loving according to their own will and fearing according to that of the prince, a wise prince should establish himself on that which is in his own control and not in that of others." -- Niccolò Machiavelli
demecarv
Registered Member

Post by demecarv »

Akatsukami, in fact what you are seing is my first mainframe Job. I copied from some other which was done by a very experienced person and make it shorter in order to study it. When you asked me why I am not "running BPXBATCH directly", I am wondering if you are asking me why I am not in ISPF menu, choose option 5 Batch (Submit Job for language processing) and run it by typing MY_APP_DTL_BACKUP.sh. If you are asking a different question, could you make it more clear? I mean, can I run MY_APP_DTL_BACKUP.sh inside of a JCL job without BPXBATCH? Which other option would you use?
demecarv
Registered Member

Post by demecarv »

Nicc, thank you for your answer. After I typed ?, I see three DDNAMEs: JESMSGLG, JESJCL and JESYSMSG. Which one does contain STDERR. Honestly, they contain very similiar information inside of.
demecarv
Registered Member

Post by demecarv »

Nicc, sorry. Kindly, ignore my last question. For some reason, STDERR wasn't apearing. Then, I added again the line //STSTSPRT DD SYSOUT=* in my job before //STDERR DD SYSOUT=*. Now I can see the STDERR after typed "?" and I can see the clear error "cannot rename ... to ... Directory not empty".
Akatsukami
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Akatsukami »

No, I was merely asking why you did not specify PGM=BXPBATCH on the EXEC card, rather running it as a command in background TSO.
"I come to the conclusion that, men loving according to their own will and fearing according to that of the prince, a wise prince should establish himself on that which is in his own control and not in that of others." -- Niccolò Machiavelli
Robert Sample
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Post by Robert Sample »

You can run BPXBATCH directly (see the Unix System Services Command Reference manual for details):

000004 //BACKUP   EXEC PGM=BPXBATCH,
000006 // PARM='sh /WebSphereDevelopment/scripts/dtl/MY_APP_DTL_BACKUP.sh'
000007 //SYSPRINT DD SYSOUT=*
000008 //STDERR   DD SYSOUT=*
000009 //STDOUT   DD SYSOUT=*
Now that you're seeing STDERR, you can deal with the cause of the U4095 abend.
demecarv
Registered Member

Post by demecarv »

Yes, I fixed the issue and moved forward. It was a small mistake related to "mv" command. Thanks to all.
Anuj Dhawan
Founder
India

Post by Anuj Dhawan »

Thanks for posting what has worked for you. Appreciate that! :good:
Thanks,
Anuj

Disclaimer: My comments on this website are my own and do not represent the opinions or suggestions of any other person or business entity, in any way.