IGD17012I USER NOT AUTHORIZED TO DEFINE DATA SET

JES2/3, JCL, utilities.
demecarv
Registered Member

IGD17012I USER NOT AUTHORIZED TO DEFINE DATA SET

Post by demecarv »

I tried for the first time to create a Data Set and I got the message below. I can see the message related to permission but I am wondering if it might be in result of some wrong parameter set in previous screen. I pasted the values from previous screen below. Could someone confirm if the "not authorized" message could be caused by some parameter typed or it is really related to my permission? Since I am in development TSO/E I wasn't expected to be blocked. Is there a way to check if I have permission to create DataSet someway?

Code: Select all

DATA SET PREFIX.GRP.TP NOT ALLOCATED+,
IGD17012I USER NOT AUTHORIZED TO DEFINE DATA SET,
PREFIX.GRP.TP,
DADSM HISTORIC RETURN CODE IS 172 DADSM DIAGNOSTIC INFORMATION IS 040E0800
---

Code: Select all

Data Set Name  . . . :,PREFIX.GRP.TP
Management class . . .,       
Storage class  . . . .,        
Volume serial . . . .,      
Device type . . . . .,        
Data class . . . . . .,DCPO    
Space units . . . . .,CYLINDER  
Average record unit  ,
Primary quantity  . .,1            
Secondary quantity   ,1           
Directory blocks  . .,0     
Record format . . . .,FB    
Record length . . . .,80     

,Block size  . . . . .,3120  ,

,Data set name type   ,        ,
Last edited by Anuj Dhawan on Wed Sep 23, 2015 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added code Tags.
enrico-sorichetti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: IGD17012I USER NOT AUTHORIZED TO DEFINE DATA SET

Post by enrico-sorichetti »

the fastest way to solve Your problem is to ask Your support
cheers
enrico
When I tell somebody to RTFM or STFW I usually have the page open in another tab/window of my browser,
so that I am sure that the information requested can be reached with a very small effort 8-)
Anuj Dhawan
Founder
India

Post by Anuj Dhawan »

You need to check if you've access to create the data-set with "PREFIX*" as the high level qualifier. Why not try with your RACF ID as prefix for the new data-set.

Values in the 'previous screen' looks fine but there are too many redundant "," I see, possibly a typo. OTOH, I don't have access to mainframe to check if that's allowed...

* - I understand that you're using "PREFIX" as a symbolic for this post but you need to verify, in your shop as enrico has said, if you've access to create the data with that prefix otherwise your own RACF ID is a good choice, usually.
Thanks,
Anuj

Disclaimer: My comments on this website are my own and do not represent the opinions or suggestions of any other person or business entity, in any way.
mickeydusaor
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by mickeydusaor »

The HLQ that you tried using is more than likely a PRODUCTION file HLQ and you are not authorized to created any Production files, as stated use your user id for creating files.
demecarv
Registered Member

Post by demecarv »

Thanks. Instead of prefix word I typed my user id and it worked. I am confused about the statement above: what does it exactly mean ""PREFIX*" as the high level qualifier"? What is the difference between I created the data set by using my user id in "Project" field instead of the term prefix? I am following the guide "Introduction to the new mainframe z/OS Basics", chapter 4. The simple exercise shows how to allocate certain Data Set named Area.Code and order it via certain CLIST. I want to create my own data set and order it as my first CLIST in mainframe.
mickeydusaor
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by mickeydusaor »

PREFIX has never been defined as a HLQ, and I would hope that it never would be. most all system have been setup with Production and Development file each with there only HLQ and setup with the proper authorizations. As with your user id you have the authorization to create, delete, rename any of your files.
Dilip Prasad

Post by Dilip Prasad »

demecarv wrote:I am confused about the statement above: what does it exactly mean ""PREFIX*" as the high level qualifier"? What is the difference between I created the data set by using my user id in "Project" field instead of the term prefix?
I think Anuj meant to say that check what is allowed to at your shop to be used as the first qualifier for your data-set name.