Transfer multiple files from mainframe to PC.

JES2/3, JCL, utilities.
Pratima P

Transfer multiple files from mainframe to PC.

Post by Pratima P »

Hi,

I have to transfer a number of files from mainframe to the hard disk on my PC. Can we do it using JCL with some FTP command or such a thing is possible from mainfrae-to-mainframe only?
enrico-sorichetti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Transfer multiple files from mainframe to PC.

Post by enrico-sorichetti »

speak to Your support to determine the procedure that should be used .
cheers
enrico
When I tell somebody to RTFM or STFW I usually have the page open in another tab/window of my browser,
so that I am sure that the information requested can be reached with a very small effort 8-)
Robert Sample
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Re: Transfer multiple files from mainframe to PC.

Post by Robert Sample »

Doing an FTP in JCL requires you to connect from the mainframe to a server. It is EXTREMELY rare that a desktop PC would be configured as a server since there are software and network issues that must be considered. Hence it is unlikely that what you want to do can be done at all. However, it is very easy to use FTP on the desktop PC to transfer data sets from a mainframe to the PC.

Whether or not you should do so, however, depends upon the situation. Most sites consider mainframe data sets to be owned by the organization and frown upon removing them from the secured and backed up mainframe environment. If you are wanting them on your desktop PC as an extra back up of them, as suggested elsewhere contact your site support group. If you are wanting them on your desktop PC because you consider them your personal property you should be aware that few sites would agree and most would take disciplinary action up to and including termination if such actions were discovered.