Can we shedule a Job without Job sheduler?

JES2/3, JCL, utilities.
Amey K

Can we shedule a Job without Job sheduler?

Post by Amey K »

Hi,

I understand that this is not recommended though not for a prod environment, can we shedule Jobs without Job shedulers? Internal reader is one way I can think of, but if I want control the time at which the job should run... is there a possibility?
nicc
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Can we shedule a Job without Job sheduler?

Post by nicc »

The internal reader is nothing to do with scheduling by itself. The only way you can do what you want is to look at your watch and when the time comes submit the job yourself, manually.
Regards
Nic
Amey K

Post by Amey K »

That method I know :D.

Is there no way of doing it ?
Robert Sample
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Post by Robert Sample »

No. The reason job schedulers are so popular is to do this. JES3 has a deadline facility but it does not work as a job scheduler; I don't believe JES2 has anything remotely similar to a job scheduler.
Amey K

Post by Amey K »

Can there be a waythat I can use some DOS commands on a PC to connect to mainframe and trigger a Job?
Anuj Dhawan
Founder
India

Post by Anuj Dhawan »

There is a way of doing it but you need to check with your support that the FTP command originated from your work-station will be honored by the mainframe at your shop or not. if you've confirmation about it - you might try this:
  • 1. On windows, in a notepad - write the following commands:

Code: Select all

USER
    your-mainframe-user-id
    mainframe-password
    QUOTE SITE FILETYPE=JES
    GET 'USERID.ABC.PDS(YOURJOB)'
    QUIT

USERID.ABC.PDS(YOURJOB) - is the PDS/JOB you want to SUBmit. Other parameters should be self explanatory. "QUOTE SITE FILETYPE=JES" is a JES command, let's leave its discussion for now.

2. Save the above notepad as script into a file and save it as submitjob.SCR

3. In another notepad, write the following and save it as THEJOB.BAT:

Code: Select all

FTP -n -s:submitjob.scr xx.xx.xxx.xxx
    xx.xx.xxx.xxx is the IP address of the mainframe, you want to SUBmit the at.

4. Schedule the above batch file THEJOB.BAT in the "windows scheduler" to run at a particular time.

5. To do the step 4, follow these instructions:
    1. Go to Control Panel
    2. Scheduled Tasks
    3. Add a new task for the above BAT file by browsing the BAT file.
:Please do not try this if you are not sure how to work with your site support group for such a request.
Thanks,
Anuj

Disclaimer: My comments on this website are my own and do not represent the opinions or suggestions of any other person or business entity, in any way.
nicc
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by nicc »

However, that is using a scheduler :mrgreen:
Regards
Nic
Anuj Dhawan
Founder
India

Post by Anuj Dhawan »

nicc wrote:However, that is using a scheduler :mrgreen:
LOL - you can't get away from it!
Thanks,
Anuj

Disclaimer: My comments on this website are my own and do not represent the opinions or suggestions of any other person or business entity, in any way.
Anuj Dhawan
Founder
India

Post by Anuj Dhawan »

There is a file at CBT Tape with name Ftp2Jes, which can also be of interest here.
Ftp2Jes is a windows based application that provides a GUI around the FTP protocol that supports simple access to JES2 on IBM OS390 and zOS based operating systems. This FTP support allows Batch jobs to be submitted to JES2 and the output to be retrieved through an FTP session between the IBM host and your PC. Ftp2Jes enhances this functionality to provide a useful tool for using this functionality.
Thanks,
Anuj

RolfD

Post by RolfD »

Helle Amy,

sometimes I have the same problem too. My solution is the following: I have a small REXX-script that sleeps until the given time has come. This is running in front of the application-step.
If this is what you need let me know, than I can put the code here.

Regards, Rolf
enrico-sorichetti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by enrico-sorichetti »

I have a small REXX-script that sleeps until the given time has come.
Your operation support people will certainly be happy to have an initiator BUSY just doing nothing :mrgreen:
If this is what you need let me know, than I can put the code here.
quite a few people will frown about poor/inconsiderate solutions posted ,

the whole topic really belongs to the category what should not be discussed on a forum
cheers
enrico
When I tell somebody to RTFM or STFW I usually have the page open in another tab/window of my browser,
so that I am sure that the information requested can be reached with a very small effort 8-)
RolfD

Post by RolfD »

In our shop we never had a problem with initiators, so I don't see what you want to say with your comment.
Don't understand why this topic should not be discussed here - can you pls explain?
Perhaps this will help to give more proper answers.

Regards, Rolf
prino
Registered Member

Post by prino »

Robert AH Prins
robertahprins @ the.17+Gb.Google thingy
Some z/OS code here
Robert Sample
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Post by Robert Sample »

In our shop we never had a problem with initiators, so I don't see what you want to say with your comment.
Don't understand why this topic should not be discussed here - can you pls explain?
Perhaps this will help to give more proper answers.
If you start tying up an initiator all day with your personal scheduling program, and several of your colleagues do the same thing, then your site will develop problems with initiators - guaranteed. There are only so many initiators in the system, and while that number can be increased (or decreased), doing so merely to allow someone to use system resources all day doing something that the site job scheduler already does is a waste. Plus adding initiators will eventually cause production slowdowns.

Writing your own job scheduler isn't a proper topic for a forum because, unless you use advanced methods which do NOT require tying up an initiator all day, you are proposing to waste system resources on your personal project. Many, if not most, sites frown upon doing this. In fact, attempting to write your job scheduler can subject the employee to management sanctions up to and including termination of employment. Furthermore, most sites already have a job scheduler installed and therefore that should be used (whether or not it is convenient to use is a different question).