Upgrade in site' software.

Announcements: A member should be concerned about. And the Rules you should follow.
Anuj Dhawan
Founder
India

Upgrade in site' software.

Post by Anuj Dhawan »

Hi,

I plan to upgrade the site' software but that would change the look and feel of the website to a good extent though it'll still be very much similar to regular Forum software. Just wanted to know the consent of the audience just in case, they're habitual of existing navigation of the Forum?
Thanks,
Anuj

Disclaimer: My comments on this website are my own and do not represent the opinions or suggestions of any other person or business entity, in any way.
enrico-sorichetti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Upgrade in site' software.

Post by enrico-sorichetti »

what would be the fallback effort in case of a user insurrection ? 8-)
what would be the effort - as already done once - to create a clone of the forum with the upgraded software
cheers
enrico
When I tell somebody to RTFM or STFW I usually have the page open in another tab/window of my browser,
so that I am sure that the information requested can be reached with a very small effort 8-)
Anuj Dhawan
Founder
India

Post by Anuj Dhawan »

It's only "move forward", once decided - no fall back. So you're stuck with "new" but the benefit is to have a better end-user experience - like, Emoji Support, better way to quote someone' statement, improved notifications etc..

To create from scratch would be comparatively easy as you said, "already done once" but the Database definitions are significantly changed, compared to previous releases, which require a thoughtful move to get going all smoothly. Then there are "themes" which do not work with new releases and that's what I'm asking here - as I liked this theme a lot, personally.
Thanks,
Anuj

Disclaimer: My comments on this website are my own and do not represent the opinions or suggestions of any other person or business entity, in any way.
enrico-sorichetti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

go ahead, then...
we trust Your judgement 8-)
cheers
enrico
When I tell somebody to RTFM or STFW I usually have the page open in another tab/window of my browser,
so that I am sure that the information requested can be reached with a very small effort 8-)
Anuj Dhawan
Founder
India

Post by Anuj Dhawan »

It might take a while - just for the initial glimpse, it might look like this: zDigitalForum/
Thanks,
Anuj

prino
Registered Member

Post by prino »

Anuj Dhawan wrote:... but the benefit is to have a better end-user experience - like, Emoji Support ...
That's really something your average z/OS / ISPF user is waiting for, style over substance...
Robert AH Prins
robertahprins @ the.17+Gb.Google thingy
Some z/OS code here
Anuj Dhawan
Founder
India

Post by Anuj Dhawan »

Do you still make use of rotary dial phone? Mostly not.

Most of us use smart phones today, does that make all of us smart thinkers? Obviously not.

Why to mix two dramatically different subjects - when I ask about the software upgrade of the website, I behave as a Web programmer, who wants to bring in the best user experience that has nothing to do with substance on the site. Bringing in substance is a long process - like learning zOS - can't happen overnight, however, will happen as time goes by, I believe.
Thanks,
Anuj

Anuj Dhawan
Founder
India

Post by Anuj Dhawan »

Hi,

Site' software is updated. Basic features will work well however, some of the add ons might not work correctly as they might not be compatible with the current version of the software. If you'd like to report any such issue, please report that in this thread.

I just noticed "Similar Topics" are not shaping up well, at the bottom of every post. Will look in to that.
Thanks,
Anuj

Akatsukami
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Akatsukami »

I cannot find the link to new posts.
"I come to the conclusion that, men loving according to their own will and fearing according to that of the prince, a wise prince should establish himself on that which is in his own control and not in that of others." -- Niccolò Machiavelli
Anuj Dhawan
Founder
India

Post by Anuj Dhawan »

Akatsukami wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:36 pm I cannot find the link to new posts.
It's under "Quick links" link, at the top left of the page.

Screen Shot 2017-10-02 at 10.47.58 PM.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Thanks,
Anuj

nicc
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by nicc »

under the old version I used to work from the Recent Topics list: select the first, deal with it, go back to the list where the one that I had just visited would have been removed and I could select the next. If no new posts then I would know straight away and could log out.
Now the Recent Topics contains topics with no new posts and some topics with new posts are not getting onto that list. I counted 3 the other day.

Looks like we had a 'personal' Recent Topics list and now it is a general one. Any chance of going back to the previous behaviour?
Regards
Nic
Anuj Dhawan
Founder
India

Post by Anuj Dhawan »

Please see if it works for you now the way you need it.

You can change the preferences from here too: ucp.php?i=ucp_prefs&mode=view
Thanks,
Anuj

nicc
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by nicc »

Yes, brilliant! Thank you.

one other "little thing" is it possible to prevent posts from 'Applications' from appearing? We cannot look at them and the only way to make the topic 'read' is to mark 'All forums' read.
Regards
Nic
Anuj Dhawan
Founder
India

Post by Anuj Dhawan »

Thanks for the feedback, appreciate that.
nicc wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:08 pmone other "little thing" is it possible to prevent posts from 'Applications' from appearing? We cannot look at them and the only way to make the topic 'read' is to mark 'All forums' read.
Thanks - I did not really realize while setting it up that how 'the set-up' will behave at your end. Thanks for the bringing this up - please allow me to have some time, will work it out.
nicc
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by nicc »

This is crazy - the page jumps about because the 'splash' panel at the top is incorrect for views 1 and 3. The view becomes a thin strip but the text stays where it is but all the sections move up the page. It makes the forum unusable. (Firefox 56.0.2 64 bit on Windoze 10)
Regards
Nic
enrico-sorichetti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

the same on macOS with chrome
and the splash panel is TOO big , it takes about a third of a page
cheers
enrico
Anuj Dhawan
Founder
India

Post by Anuj Dhawan »

Thanks for the feedback. I, too, noticed it. Will disable it for now.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Thanks,
Anuj

nicc
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by nicc »

thanks
Regards
Nic