JAVA on zOS.

C/C++ and Java for MVS & zOS.
Shalini Singh
Registered Member

JAVA on zOS.

Post by Shalini Singh »

Hi

Where can I find the JAVA procedure and Load modules in mainframe. How to execute the Java program, we are using zOS 1.13.

Thanks ,
Robert Sample
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Re: JAVA on zOS.

Post by Robert Sample »

Java is installed under Unix System Services (OMVS) with z/OS. Start an OMVS session (not an Ishell session) and enter whence java on the command line.
moral

Re: JAVA on zOS.

Post by moral »

Shalini Singh wrote:Hi

Where can I find the JAVA procedure and Load modules in mainframe. How to execute the Java program, we are using zOS 1.13.

Thanks ,
Java on mainframe is very easy (in my opinion of course :-)).Java is installed under OMVS like wrote Robert (default: /usr/lpp/java). You can use this like on the other platforms using javac, java etc.
But this is IBM version (JZOS) and you can run your program in batch like any other programs (COBOL, C, etc.). In java you can simply use data sets, write to operator, invoke REXX scripts, submit JOB and so on.
You write your program under PC in your favorite IDE (I prefer eclipse) the update to mainframe and run (every step you can do from Eclipse). The best places to find information is:
- Start here: From zero to zHero
- IBM Java programs sample
- JZOS Cookbook - this is the great source of know about Java on mainframe

I wish you luck with your learning, the most difficult is start. If you have problems write on the forum we try help you.