Java or Mainframe, which is the better technology?

C/C++ and Java for MVS & zOS.
ShreeVichare

Java or Mainframe, which is the better technology?

Post by ShreeVichare »

Hi,

I have interest in Java and I have also sufficient knowledge of JAVA but some days ago my company has changed my domain from JAVA to mainframe. I am feeling depressed. Java or Mainframe, which is the better technology? Please share your thoughts with me.
Robert Sample
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Re: Java or Mainframe, which is the better technology?

Post by Robert Sample »

Better for what? Comparing JAVA to mainframes is like comparing coconuts to elephants -- the comparison will only make sense in a few circumstances.

Mainframe technology have been around more than 50 years at this point compared to 20 years for JAVA. Hence there is a lot to learn about mainframes -- more than any one person could ever know, in fact. Mainframes continue to be used extensively by large organizations around the world, and they have the capability to run JAVA, process web pages, generate and parse XML, and otherwise handle an incredible variety of tasks. There's not much in the computer field that cannot be done with a mainframe these days.

But your attitude will make the difference -- whether you decide to love or hate the mainframe, your thoughts about it will impact your work. Why be depressed when you could be thinking that your company thinks enough of you to invest in retraining you to handle something new, rather than just dumping you on the market to find another JAVA job?
enrico-sorichetti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by enrico-sorichetti »

I am feeling depressed.
wiser to look for psychiatric help rather than ask on a forum :mrgreen:

and, before You complain, You asked of it ...
Please share your thoughts with me.
cheers
enrico
When I tell somebody to RTFM or STFW I usually have the page open in another tab/window of my browser,
so that I am sure that the information requested can be reached with a very small effort 8-)
ShreeVichare

Post by ShreeVichare »

Robert Sample wrote:Better for what? Comparing JAVA to mainframes is like comparing coconuts to elephants -- the comparison will only make sense in a few circumstances.
I was at least compairing two technologies, and not fruit with animal. All my friends and seniors are in Java and have good salaries. While in the maiframes after 7-8 years there are hardly any options and my knowns are not making good salaries and that's why I feel not very happy about this.
ShreeVichare

Post by ShreeVichare »

enrico-sorichetti wrote:
I am feeling depressed.
wiser to look for psychiatric help rather than ask on a forum :mrgreen:

and, before You complain, You asked of it ...
Please share your thoughts with me.
Thanks for your sense of humour!
Robert Sample
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Post by Robert Sample »

JAVA is software. A mainframe is z/Architecture hardware plus the operating system plus the applications software --- in other words, JAVA is quite limited compared to a mainframe. Terminology is critical in IT, where similar terms may mean very different things. Calling JAVA and mainframe both "technologies" is true but it also drastically mis-states what is being compared. Furthermore, mainframes execute JAVA all the time these days -- so you really want to compare the platform to a piece of software running on that platform and call them equal?
zprogrammer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by zprogrammer »

Point well made Robert and Enrico
zprogrammer
enrico-sorichetti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

So, I think Java is better than Mainframes.
so what if the Mainframe was running Linux ?
you need to create six different files in Mainframe(COBOL).
list them :?:
cheers
enrico
When I tell somebody to RTFM or STFW I usually have the page open in another tab/window of my browser,
so that I am sure that the information requested can be reached with a very small effort 8-)
Blackthorn

Post by Blackthorn »

Sana26 wrote:For creating a simple UI screen with business logic, you need to create six different files in Mainframe(COBOL).

Whereas in Java, you can create it with two files only.

So, I think Java is better than Mainframes. And, let me assure you, Java is the future. It's here to stay for long.
Surely that just means life is, perhaps, easier for the developer. That doesn't make it "better".
enrico-sorichetti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

And, let me assure you,
what are Your personal references that make Your assurance trustworthy :mrgreen:
cheers
enrico
Anuj Dhawan
Founder
India

Post by Anuj Dhawan »

Sana26 wrote:For creating a simple UI screen with business logic, you need to create six different files in Mainframe(COBOL).

Whereas in Java, you can create it with two files only.

So, I think Java is better than Mainframes. And, let me assure you, Java is the future. It's here to stay for long.
What you have said is too subjective. As has been asked, what prompts you to say that?

And the baseline of this topic is very thin - JAVA is software. A mainframe is z/Architecture hardware, OS and applications software as Robert has also said. Perhaps Java to COBOL comparison could still have been a better choice for a topic, to start with...
Thanks,
Anuj

Disclaimer: My comments on this website are my own and do not represent the opinions or suggestions of any other person or business entity, in any way.