How to execute TSO as a batch?

Time Sharing Option, Interactive System Productivity Facility and REstructured eXtended eXecutor

Moderator: mickeydusaor

Pragya
Registered Member

How to execute TSO as a batch?

Post by Pragya »

Hi,

I've seen some dialogues stating using "TSO in batch". Please tell me, how to execute TSO as a batch? And why is it called so?
zprogrammer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: How to execute TSO as a batch?

Post by zprogrammer »

You can make use of the program IKJEFT01 to execute in Batch mode.
And why is it called so?
If you could clarify more you could get better replies
zprogrammer
enrico-sorichetti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by enrico-sorichetti »

Please tell me, how to execute TSO as a batch? And why is it called so?
when logging on to TSO the tso controller starts a procedure ( dependent on Your TSO Profile )
which executes the PROGRAM IKJEFT01
IKJEFT01 in a bare FOREGROUND TSO session reads input/commands from Your 3270 screen and writes back to the same

but You can invoke IKJEFT01 using plain JCL
and it will read input/commands from the DDNAME SYSTSIN
it will write to the DDNAME SYSTSPRT

that' all
cheers
enrico
When I tell somebody to RTFM or STFW I usually have the page open in another tab/window of my browser,
so that I am sure that the information requested can be reached with a very small effort 8-)
Anuj Dhawan
Founder
India

Post by Anuj Dhawan »

Time Sharing Option/Extensions allows end-users to create an interactive session with the z/OS system. TSO provides a single-user logon capability and a basic command prompt interface to z/OS - these commands, at times, needs to be executed in foreground and that's one of the example when you use "TSO in batch" and to do that IKJEFT01 is called, as has been already told. And because TSO 'was meant for interactive sessions", executing it using a JCL was called as "TSO in batch".

PS.: I've made some assumptions in my post to make the answer to relate to the question. Hopefully, it does not deter from the facts too much.
Thanks,
Anuj

Disclaimer: My comments on this website are my own and do not represent the opinions or suggestions of any other person or business entity, in any way.
Quasar Chunawala
Registered Member

Post by Quasar Chunawala »

Before TSO all kind of mainframe processing was batch. You'd send your deck of punched cards and tapes to a central processor complex where an operator would execute the work on your behalf and return you the print out, if you were fortunate and everything ran well.

The invention of a batch program that could monitor connected devices such as a display workstation, was a breakthrough! This opened up the machine room to programmers through a network of terminals in an enterprise. Every TSO/E session is a special kind of a batch job. TSO is like a big ear, that listens to a terminal(to which you are logged on). Its an invocation of IKJEFT01.
enrico-sorichetti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

the invention of a batch program that could monitor connected devices such as a display workstation, was a breakthrough!

:o
Every TSO/E session is a special kind of a batch job.
nope :mrgreen:

a TSO session is a tso session
if it was some kind of job it would be classifies as JOB not as TSO
did You ever notice it in a SDSF display that

started tasks get numbered STCxxxxx
batch jobs get numbered JOBxxxxx
INTERACTIVE/FOREGROUND/TERMINAL tso sessions get numbered TSOxxxxx
cheers
enrico
When I tell somebody to RTFM or STFW I usually have the page open in another tab/window of my browser,
so that I am sure that the information requested can be reached with a very small effort 8-)
Quasar Chunawala
Registered Member

Enrico,

:D Just one more question though, don't TSO(user) address spaces get swapped out, like other jobs? I thought so!
enrico-sorichetti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

certainly they do ...
all depends on the WLM definitions

jus a quick and dirty concept

for a batch job the fall into disgrace for overuse of resources COULD/MIGHT be non existent, very slow
once the classification has been done correctly
a BATCH invocation of IKJEFT01 is regarded by WLM as a BATCH job

for a FOREGROUND TSO the objective is to guarantee a consistent response time for well behaved users
so the fall into disgrace could be very steep ...
a foreground compilations for example might result at the end to receive less resources than a BATCH job

and the user might sit there for MINUTES staring at an unresponsive screen
cheers
enrico
Quasar Chunawala
Registered Member

Read a couple of columns on the Internet. My notion of any FOREGROUND program/application was, it's got to always stay in main storage. It doesn't have to!

A TSO user address space can be logically swapped out during the "think-time". And even physically swapped after that.
Pragya
Registered Member

Post by Pragya »

Thanks all.