Stopping upper case in ISPF.

Time Sharing Option, Interactive System Productivity Facility and REstructured eXtended eXecutor

Moderator: mickeydusaor

Ramesh_Mainframe
Registered Member
India

Stopping upper case in ISPF.

Post by Ramesh_Mainframe »

Hi,

When I edit and save a member or data-set in the ISPF editor then the editor makes all signs in upper case. At times it is not good. How can I change this?

Regards,
Robert Sample
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Re: Stopping upper case in ISPF.

Post by Robert Sample »

What do you mean by "signs"? CAPS OFF is the primary command to allow upper and lower case; however, this typically only affects alphabetic characters.
Ramesh_Mainframe
Registered Member
India

I'm sorry I meant alphabets only.

I've used CAPS OFF but whenever I open the member again after a fresh log-in to the system, it comes back to the CAPS ON?
zprogrammer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by zprogrammer »

Can you try

Code: Select all

PROF LOCK 
on command line?
zprogrammer
Robert Sample
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Post by Robert Sample »

You need to find the ISPF bookshelf and read up on profiles. Also, if a data set has no lower-case characters when ISPF edit opens the data set, there is an implicit CAPS ON done if CAPS OFF is set; the opposite is also true (CAPS OFF will be done if there are lower case characters).
Ramesh_Mainframe
Registered Member
India

Robert Sample wrote:You need to find the ISPF bookshelf and read up on profiles. Also, if a data set has no lower-case characters when ISPF edit opens the data set, there is an implicit CAPS ON done if CAPS OFF is set; the opposite is also true (CAPS OFF will be done if there are lower case characters).
So what should I do to keep it all CAPS?
Robert Sample
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Post by Robert Sample »

From the ISPF Edit and Edit Macros manual in the ISPF bookshelf:
1.2.1.4 Locking an edit profile
Once you have an edit profile exactly the way you want it, you can lock it. To do this, type PROFILE LOCK and press Enter. The edit profile is saved with all the current modes, options, and temporary lines, and it is marked so that the saved copy of the edit profile is not changed. Usually, each time you begin an editing session the edit profile you start with is exactly the way you locked it. The exceptions are caps, number, stats, and pack, which are made to match the data and are noted with messages. You can change a mode during an editing session, but if the edit profile is locked, the change affects only the current session; it does not affect any later sessions.
Note that caps are explicitly set to match the data -- even if you lock the profile -- so basically, what you want to do CANNOT be done.
prino
Registered Member

Post by prino »

Robert Sample wrote:From the ISPF Edit and Edit Macros manual in the ISPF bookshelf:
1.2.1.4 Locking an edit profile
Once you have an edit profile exactly the way you want it, you can lock it. To do this, type PROFILE LOCK and press Enter. The edit profile is saved with all the current modes, options, and temporary lines, and it is marked so that the saved copy of the edit profile is not changed. Usually, each time you begin an editing session the edit profile you start with is exactly the way you locked it. The exceptions are caps, number, stats, and pack, which are made to match the data and are noted with messages. You can change a mode during an editing session, but if the edit profile is locked, the change affects only the current session; it does not affect any later sessions.
Note that caps are explicitly set to match the data -- even if you lock the profile -- so basically, what you want to do CANNOT be done.
Oh yes, it can be done! Using an initial macro you do as you please, including such follies as setting a JCL profile for COBOL. :mrgreen:
Robert AH Prins
robertahprins @ the.17+Gb.Google thingy
Some z/OS code here
Ramesh_Mainframe
Registered Member
India

@prino,

Can you please share an example ?
nicc
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by nicc »

Why do you want an example of how to screw things up?
Regards
Nic
Ramesh_Mainframe
Registered Member
India

nicc wrote:Why do you want an example of how to screw things up?
I did not understand that prino was saying that. I thought there is some proper way of executing some macro he is telling about. I did not know it's about screwing things.