What are the advantages of REXX over CLISTs under z/OS or CLIST is good enough some times?

Time Sharing Option, Interactive System Productivity Facility and REstructured eXtended eXecutor

Moderator: mickeydusaor

utkarsh
Registered Member
India

What are the advantages of REXX over CLISTs under z/OS or CLIST is good enough some times?

Post by utkarsh »

The way I look at it is that CLISTs are just an older command language but we still receive a lot of new software using them, even though REXX is now standard with the operating system.

Are there some reasons why CLISTs are preferred or REXX is preferred for a given software?
Akatsukami
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: What are the advantages of REXX over CLISTs under z/OS or CLIST is good enough some times?

Post by Akatsukami »

Rexx runs on more platforms than just z/OS; it is non-proprietary and has many features that CLIST lacks. Rexx is to be preferred in developing new programs, and CLISTs should be converted to Rexx as resources allow.
"I come to the conclusion that, men loving according to their own will and fearing according to that of the prince, a wise prince should establish himself on that which is in his own control and not in that of others." -- Niccolò Machiavelli
utkarsh
Registered Member
India

Re: What are the advantages of REXX over CLISTs under z/OS or CLIST is good enough some times?

Post by utkarsh »

Thanks Akatsukami! (What is the meaning of your name. I could not type without referring the spelling back and again :) )

I was told that CLIST is out of support but I have searched it and most the documents from IBM still talk about CLIST. Though it works only for IBM platform but on this platform it shouldbe less than REXX or is it?
Akatsukami
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Akatsukami »

utkarsh wrote:Thanks Akatsukami! (What is the meaning of your name. I could not type without referring the spelling back and again :) )
It's archaic Japanese for "manifest deity" :D
I was told that CLIST is out of support but I have searched it and most the documents from IBM still talk about CLIST. Though it works only for IBM platform but on this platform it shouldbe less than REXX or is it?
Less what than Rexx?
"I come to the conclusion that, men loving according to their own will and fearing according to that of the prince, a wise prince should establish himself on that which is in his own control and not in that of others." -- Niccolò Machiavelli
utkarsh
Registered Member
India

Post by utkarsh »

I meant it should not be less than REXX. Missed the not in my previous post...:(
nicc
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by nicc »

The problem is: what do you mean by "less"? It seems to be irrelevant in this type of comparison.
Regards
Nic