Cost of mainframe DASD storage and remove code lines.

Virtual Storage Access method - ESDS, KSDS, RRDS & LDS. Basic direct access method, Basic sequential -, Queued sequential -, Basic partitioned -, Indexed sequential -, Object - access method.
The Date
Registered Member

Cost of mainframe DASD storage and remove code lines.

Post by The Date »

Hi,

If I remove the unwanted piece of codes present in many libraries, how much I am going to save by reducing the space usage?

Also I would be very thankful if you could share the info on what basis the shops usually will collect the amout like x$/Month or x$ for usage of this much space?

Please help.
Robert Sample
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Re: Cost of mainframe DASD storage and remove code lines.

Post by Robert Sample »

The answer is that it depends upon the site. Some sites use a chargeback scheme, some sites do not. So the savings could range from $0.00 / month up to some value, depending upon the chargeback scheme used.

More broadly, if you are asking about how much would be saved for your site, the answer is ... ZERO! If your site purchased the DASD, then it owns that DASD and there would be no cost savings possible until the DASD is replaced (at which time, acquiring a smaller device might save money -- but the DS 8000, for example, is sold in blocks of 400 GB so you would have to reduce total disk space usage by at least 400 GB -- or 5 billion lines of code -- to save anything). If the site leases DASD, and the contract allows for return of unused space, and you can free up enough space to have an impact, then you might save your site some money. How much would depend upon the contract, and the rate being paid for disk space, and how much you can reduce disk space usage, and so forth.
The Date
Registered Member

Re: Cost of mainframe DASD storage and remove code lines.

Post by The Date »

Thanks Robert. This gives me a good idea.