GDG Generations Limit.

Virtual Storage Access method - ESDS, KSDS, RRDS & LDS. Basic direct access method, Basic sequential -, Queued sequential -, Basic partitioned -, Indexed sequential -, Object - access method.
Akshya Chopra
Registered Member
Algeria

GDG Generations Limit.

Post by Akshya Chopra »

Hello,

Can anybody please tell me the maximum limit for a GDG generation? From the manuals, it is 255. However, when I create a new GDG with NOEMPTY, NOSCRATCH option it created more than 258 generations without deleting the previous generations. And all the generations are catalogued. So what is correct? Please help.
Robert Sample
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Re: GDG Generations Limit.

Post by Robert Sample »

The limit of generations that can be managed for a GDG is 255 -- period. HOWEVER, depending upon the options used when the GDG was built, there may APPEAR to be more than 255 generations in the catalog. This is because the options (such as NOEMPTY NOSCRATCH) determine whether or not to delete the rolled-off generations and remove them from the catalog. If they are not removed from the catalog and deleted, they will still be on the system and show up on data set listings -- but they will NOT be managed as part of the GDG.
Anuj Dhawan
Founder
India

Post by Anuj Dhawan »

Any generation after 255 (provided the limit is set to that) will not be chronologically attached to the GDG Base, as Robert has said. Or in simple words - they are just another data-set on with a specific naming convention.
Thanks,
Anuj

Disclaimer: My comments on this website are my own and do not represent the opinions or suggestions of any other person or business entity, in any way.
Akshya Chopra
Registered Member
Algeria

Post by Akshya Chopra »

Thanks Robert and Anuj. Got it.
Anuj Dhawan
Founder
India

Post by Anuj Dhawan »

You're welcome! :)
Thanks,
Anuj

Disclaimer: My comments on this website are my own and do not represent the opinions or suggestions of any other person or business entity, in any way.