What is CATALOG, MASTER CATALOG and USER CATALOG?

Virtual Storage Access method - ESDS, KSDS, RRDS & LDS. Basic direct access method, Basic sequential -, Queued sequential -, Basic partitioned -, Indexed sequential -, Object - access method.
Ramesh_Mainframe
Registered Member
India

What is CATALOG, MASTER CATALOG and USER CATALOG?

Post by Ramesh_Mainframe »

What is CATALOG,MASTER CATALOG and USER CATALOG? I read about them but it looks like all is same.

I think, I've confused myself - can someone please explore.
Robert Sample
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Re: What is CATALOG, MASTER CATALOG and USER CATALOG?

Post by Robert Sample »

A CATALOG contains pointers to data sets and basically consist of data set names and volume serials; the term is not specific as to which type of catalog is being used. The MASTER CATALOG is defined during the IPL process and contains pointers to system data sets required during the IPL process. USER CATALOG is a catalog defined in the MASTER CATALOG that points to user (i.e., application) data sets. A system has one MASTER CATALOG but potentially many USER CATALOG's (typically, one for each application but this is somewhat site-specific and may be handled in another way in some sites). When creating a new data set, a catalog entry is defined -- otherwise, every data set reference would require DSN=,DISP=,UNIT=,VOLSER= in your JCL instead of just DSN=,DISP=.
Ramesh_Mainframe
Registered Member
India

You said USER CATALOG points to a application, does that mean a USER CATALOGs ate not defined for individual users?
Robert Sample
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Post by Robert Sample »

Most sites define user catalogs for applications -- and at many sites, multiple applications will share a user catalog. The "user" in "user catalog" does NOT refer to a TSO user; usually all TSO users will be defined through a single user catalog. While a user catalog could be defined for each TSO user, that would complicate the catalog structure and slow down the system due to the large number of user catalogs defined.
enrico-sorichetti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by enrico-sorichetti »

cheers
enrico
When I tell somebody to RTFM or STFW I usually have the page open in another tab/window of my browser,
so that I am sure that the information requested can be reached with a very small effort 8-)
Ramesh_Mainframe
Registered Member
India

Thanks Robert and Enrico.