CONTROL INTERVAL SPLITING in VSAM.

Virtual Storage Access method - ESDS, KSDS, RRDS & LDS. Basic direct access method, Basic sequential -, Queued sequential -, Basic partitioned -, Indexed sequential -, Object - access method.
Kavin Shah

CONTROL INTERVAL SPLITING in VSAM.

Post by Kavin Shah »

Hi,

What is CONTROL INTERVALE (CI) SLITING? We had a discussion on this in our office and the person said he is talking about "slitting" and not "splitting".

Also, do we move ~ half RECORDS of current CI to new CI while doing CONTROL INTERVALE (CI) SLITING?
enrico-sorichetti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: CONTROL INTERVALE SLITING in VSAM.

Post by enrico-sorichetti »

idiots like that one should be the object of a good throat sliting

for control intervals and control areas the right term is ...
SPLIT/SPLITTING
cheers
enrico
When I tell somebody to RTFM or STFW I usually have the page open in another tab/window of my browser,
so that I am sure that the information requested can be reached with a very small effort 8-)
nicc
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by nicc »

Suggest you ask the individual in question to define "slitting" and how it differs from "splitting".
Regards
Nic
Kavin Shah

Post by Kavin Shah »

Thanks for the confirmation. My work knowledge with VSAM is very less though I have read about it. I also wante to ask:

Why do we move ~ half RECORDS of current CI to new CI while doing CONTROL INTERVALE (CI) SLITING? Can someone please answer on this too please?
Robert Sample
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Post by Robert Sample »

Why do we move ~ half RECORDS of current CI to new CI while doing CONTROL INTERVALE (CI) SLITING?
1. There is no such thing as "CONTROL INTERVALE (CI) SLITTING".
2. I have no idea what "CONTROL INTERVALE (CI)" is -- CI is an abbreviation for CONTROL INTERVAL. What an INTERVALE is, I don't know.
3. Since you've been told already that we don't know what "slitting" is, why do you keep using the term?
4. Terminology is critical in IT, where similar terms may mean very different things. And if you cannot proof-read your post enough to correct INTERVALE to INTERVAL and SLITTING to SPLITTING (if that is what you meant), why should we provide responses? You don't care enough to get the terminology right.
5. Asking "why" questions is rarely a productive use of your time. YOU don't move half the records to the new CI when doing a CI split -- VSAM does it. And the reason VSAM does it is ... that is what it does. Why half is probably because that allows other records to be inserted in the same CI without forcing more splits -- but that is only a guess. And it doesn't really matter why VSAM moves half the records -- what matters is knowing that it does, and accepting it.

If you have not found and started reading the IBM Redbook VSAM Demystified, you need to. It can be found at http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/abstracts/s ... .html?Open
Kavin Shah

Post by Kavin Shah »

Sorry for the error made by copy and paste. I did mean spilitting. Thanks for the redbook link, it looks like a very good book.. have started reading some pages of it.

For moving half records I thought there was some rule behind it...
enrico-sorichetti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by enrico-sorichetti »

if You cannot even cut and paste properly
it would be wiser to evaluate a less demanding profession than IT
I did mean spilitting.
and even after our posts telling/yelling the proper spelling You were able to f*** it up again
cheers
enrico
When I tell somebody to RTFM or STFW I usually have the page open in another tab/window of my browser,
so that I am sure that the information requested can be reached with a very small effort 8-)
MartinPacker
Registered Member

Re: CONTROL INTERVAL SPLITING in VSAM.

Post by MartinPacker »

I think we should be gentle with the original poster (OP).

My strong suspicion is that English is not their first language and VSAM is not their hottest topic.

So let's try and edit in our heads and answer the original question...

I would echo "VSAM Demystified" is a very good Redbook - but possibly a little advanced for OP's current skill level.

I think it's worth realising that VSAM is not as sophisticated as DB2 in terms of optimisation. The latter has VERY sophisticated INSERT Management techniques, growing better with most releases.

Having said that, I would echo that if you get a CI Split in two - and it's not a bad one.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
Martin Packer
Principal Systems Investigator, IBM