What is Data Spaces mapping for VSAM files?

Virtual Storage Access method - ESDS, KSDS, RRDS & LDS. Basic direct access method, Basic sequential -, Queued sequential -, Basic partitioned -, Indexed sequential -, Object - access method.
pinball
Registered Member

What is Data Spaces mapping for VSAM files?

Post by pinball »

Hi,

What is Data Spaces mapping for VSAM files? We have heard about this from an expert at my shop who refused to give any further pointers on it. Any direction will be great on this! Thanks for your help.
enrico-sorichetti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: What is Data Spaces mapping for VSAM files?

Post by enrico-sorichetti »

We have heard about this from an expert at my shop who refused to give any further pointers on it.
not much of an expert IMNSHO :D

Vsam data space belong to the early times of Vsam mvs architecture

OUT ( once upon a time )
the catalogs where NOT icl catalogs and all the sam allocations ( rough approach ) were done using a sub allocation technique
out of a data space ...
so the steps to define a CLUSTER were
define a dataspace on a volume
define a cluster inside the data space

at that time using vsam vas a bit more complicated than it is nowadays

for example, there was something called the ownership bit and a volume was owned by a single catalog
so for a complex/large environment the allocation planning was a bit more complicated
define how many catalogs to use assign to a catalog a set of volumes and so on...
cheers
enrico
When I tell somebody to RTFM or STFW I usually have the page open in another tab/window of my browser,
so that I am sure that the information requested can be reached with a very small effort 8-)