Calculate the VSAM space using LISTCAT and not DCOLLECT.

Virtual Storage Access method - ESDS, KSDS, RRDS & LDS. Basic direct access method, Basic sequential -, Queued sequential -, Basic partitioned -, Indexed sequential -, Object - access method.
Binoy Nair

Calculate the VSAM space using LISTCAT and not DCOLLECT.

Post by Binoy Nair »

Hi,

Is there any way to calculate the space taken by a VSAM file? With some research I came to know that the something known as DCOLLECT file can help me in this. DCOLLET files can be available with the storage group. But even knowing that does not help me because we can not go to storage team just like that, a business reason is needed. While I need to this space calculation for an experiment of my own.

I was planning to use IDCAMS LISTCAT control statements to collect the information about this but with that information I find mself totally clues on how to use it? Anyone of you please, can guide me to do such calculation using LISTCAT information?
Robert Sample
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Re: Calculate the VSAM space using LISTCAT and not DCOLLECT.

Post by Robert Sample »

What do you mean by
Is there any way to calculate the space taken by a VSAM file?
Do you want to know the allocated space? Do you want to know the used space (which frequently is different and can be VERY different from the allocated space)? The HI-ALLOC-RBA and HI-USED-RBA fields give you good information, but they may not be accurate if the data set is used and open online while you're running the LISTCAT.