Name of the library where the load module of IBM utilities are?

Virtual Storage Access method - ESDS, KSDS, RRDS & LDS. Basic direct access method, Basic sequential -, Queued sequential -, Basic partitioned -, Indexed sequential -, Object - access method.
Lokesh Rana

Name of the library where the load module of IBM utilities are?

Post by Lokesh Rana »

Hi,

What is the name of the library where the load module of IBM utilities are? Or they don't need any library to execute? If so, how do they execute?
zprogrammer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Name of the library where the load module of IBM utilities are?

Post by zprogrammer »

Check SYS1.LINKLIB
zprogrammer
enrico-sorichetti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by enrico-sorichetti »

cheers
enrico
When I tell somebody to RTFM or STFW I usually have the page open in another tab/window of my browser,
so that I am sure that the information requested can be reached with a very small effort 8-)
Lokesh Rana

Post by Lokesh Rana »

Pandora-Box wrote:Check SYS1.LINKLIB
I don't have access to read it. But do we have the readable programs there? On google I've found some links for SYS1.LINKLIB but they seem to talk oterwise.
SMP/E manages two types of libraries. Target libraries (TLIBS) contain the executable code and other information used to run the system. Originally there were a limited number of target libraries: SYS1.LINKLIB for executable programs, SYS1.MACLIB for standard macros, etc., but as of 2012 each software product usually has its own set of target libraries. Distribution Libraries (DLIBS) contain the master copy of each element for a system. Each product (FMID) has its own set of distribution libraries which are normally used only by SMP/E. Libraries in OS/360 and successors, unlike directories in unix, usually contain only one type and format of data. A software package may have object libraries (MOD), ISPF panels (PNL), macro libraries (MAC) and many more.
Other reference I found is on Hercules, but I think that will not be applicable to the real mainframe or will it be? But even if it is applicable, I think , I should be doing this. Please suggest.
Language Compilers Available for MVS 3.8

Since there are no language compilers bundled with MVS 3.8, the compilers that are available to use are those that were included with the MVT 21.8f installation plus any that have been placed in the public domain by their owners/authors and are available on media that we can install under MVS running under Hercules.

Important: When installing any software on MVS 3.8j that was not installed as a part of the System Generation procedure, it is always a good idea to choose a target library that is not one of the libraries created by the System Generation procedure. In other words, you probably should not install load modules for the compilers in SYS1.LINKLIB, nor install procedures in SYS1.PROCLIB. I have attempted to be consistent when writing the installation jobstreams for the compilers to use SYS2.LINKLIB as the target of load modules and SYS2.PROCLIB for procedures. Since the compiler library datasets, for the languages that require them, usually have no counterpart in the standard IBM datasets, I usually use a high level qualifier of SYS1. If you wish, you may change the compiler library high level qualifier to SYS2 to match the target LINKLIB and PROCLIB, but if you do you will also need to change any references in the procedures that use them.

If you do not have SYS2.LINKLIB defined on your system, you should create one using the attributes of SYS1.LINKLIB as a guide. You will also need to add SYS2.LINKLIB to the LNKLST member of SYS1.PARMLIB. And you will also need to add SYS2.LINKLIB to the IEAAPF member of SYS1.PARMLIB so that authorized programs may be executed from SYS2.LINKLIB. Be careful when modifying the members of SYS1.PARMLIB, paying strict attention to the inclusion or omission of commas and continuation characters (in column 72).

If you do not have SYS2.PROCLIB defined on your system, there are instructions for doing so at: How can I execute catalogued procedures from a library other than SYS1.PROCLIB?.
enrico-sorichetti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by enrico-sorichetti »

But do we have the readable programs there?
NO, You will find only the executables.
cheers
enrico
When I tell somebody to RTFM or STFW I usually have the page open in another tab/window of my browser,
so that I am sure that the information requested can be reached with a very small effort 8-)
Robert Sample
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Post by Robert Sample »

Every program needs a load library to execute from. However, not every load library must be specified in JCL -- the link list (SYS1.LINKLIB is one) is a list of load modules that the system makes available to every program without requiring an explicit reference to it.

If by "readable program" you mean source code -- you will not find source code for the IBM utilities anywhere on your system. IBM stopped delivering source code for its systems many, many, many years ago and these days you almost have to work for IBM to be able to see this source code.