Find the MGMTCLASS for tape & archived Data sets.

Virtual Storage Access method - ESDS, KSDS, RRDS & LDS. Basic direct access method, Basic sequential -, Queued sequential -, Basic partitioned -, Indexed sequential -, Object - access method.
Ramesh Kumar

Find the MGMTCLASS for tape & archived Data sets.

Post by Ramesh Kumar »

Hi ,

Is there any way to create a list of all the datasets that are on tape? And if they are migreated I need to know their management class. I have TSO access and no access to TMS then how can I really do it? Can you please advise. Thanks
Robert Sample
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Re: Find the MGMTCLASS for tape & archived Data sets.

Post by Robert Sample »

Your request is not clear. Migration applies to DISK data sets, not tapes. Migration usually goes first to a disk migrate file, then to a tape (although this can vary by site). Asking "if (tape data sets) are migrated" could mean you want to know about the migrate file on tape, or it could mean you do not understand migration and believe a tape could be migrated.

The BEST way to find out the management class is to ask your site support group. They set up the SMS rules and would be the best way to determine this information. And why ask about management class when typically storage class (and sometimes data class) tends to be more important information?